• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

journey into mystery supahot?!

60 posts in this topic

Thor was one of the characters Artisan bought the rights to.

Last I heard, they had planned on a TV series like Xena and Hercules. I laughed at first, but actually began to see how it could work. Classical mythical heroes and villains. Plus modern day angles (cheaper to shoot) Plus, with those shows off the air now, you can just piggyback the production setups, costumes, and talent...since theyre all out of work now!

but perhaps with the Marvel/Artisan intrigues, Thor has moved up to feature status...

looks like JIM prices in NM are OFF THE HOOK 893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

I wonder if Heritage could crank up the whiteness any higher on that book?

I think that bid is BS. There is a copy of #124 graded CGC 9.4 on Ebay right now, and the high bid is barely over $200. I doubt the above copy is bringing 6x that price. I'm guessing the seller is smokin' da crack, and requested a reserve of $1350.

looks like JIM prices in NM are OFF THE HOOK 893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

I wonder if Heritage could crank up the whiteness any higher on that book?

I think that bid is BS. There is a copy of #124 graded CGC 9.4 on Ebay right now, and the high bid is barely over $200. I doubt the above copy is bringing 6x that price. I'm guessing the seller is smokin' da crack, and requested a reserve of $1350.

good point. But the Marvels are still 6 days away. The bump isnt due for 3 days yet!!

good point. But the Marvels are still 6 days away. The bump isnt due for 3 days yet!!

I disagree. Most of the books that are being sold on Tuesday (Golden Age) had their bump early last week (at least seven days in advance).

I'm pretty sure most of the BUMPS have occured. Not all books will have a reserve if the seller wants to make sure the book sells (or they still pay a commission). I'm sure Heritage's tells sellers what they might get regardless if they set a Reserve. And since Heritage's employees can bid on a book, I doubt that they would let a $1,000 book sell for $200 (when they could buy it themselves).

Many Silver-Age dealers have No or Low Reserve auctions on eBay, even for good material. Quite simply, they feel they will get more bidders and an eventually higher price with No Reserve (and I agree).

Now with scarce GA books, I would always set a reserve. grin.gif

Is anyone else bothereed by the major sun shadowing on the top half of the book? It may be a 9.4 structure wise, but I think the book looks kinda ugly myself.

Yeah, can't say I've seen this on a Silver 9.4 before. It is even visible considering that Heritage have cranked the scan brightness up to a ridiculous level.

This is good example of a book I'd have to see in person before buying (even with CGC's 'seal of approval').

The fact people are saying JIM's are (maybe) hot is not surprising. HG issues have been on the rise for the last year or so. Of all the characters started in the very early Marvels, Thor is the one character that hasn't had much of a rabid following. Also, finding early JIMs in high grade is much more difficult than it's Marvel peers from the same timeframe because of the lack of widespread interest.

Jim

Also, finding early JIMs in high grade is much more difficult than it's Marvel peers from the same timeframe because of the lack of widespread interest.

Thats always been the case though, it doesn't really explain the recent heat on the title.

Thats always been the case though, it doesn't really explain the recent heat on the title.

I think collectors have finally realized how difficult these are to find in HG and are paying accordingly. The realization of their scarcity with regard to other Marvels of the same time period is fueling the interest.

Jim

You may be correct to a degree, but I think seasoned SA collectors have always been aware of the high grade scarcity of JIM along with early Strange Tales, as compared to other Marvels.

There has never really been the demand either though for these books, and I think what we are seeing with JIM recently is an increased demand. When high grade examples do come up they are getting lots of bids from different sources, not something you would have seen a year or two ago.

I personally think there is more to it than the old 'scarce in grade' argument. We are now possibly seeing speculators jumping on high grade JIM books, possibly fueled by rumours of a movie/TV series which could give Thor a more widespread following as a character.

I do have a JIM 115 CGC 9.2,I paid alot for it but now that i see a 9.4 going for almost 1300.00,the few hundred I paid my 9.2 doesn't seem like alot.Since i'm trying to complete a run of JIM's in 9.0 or better.I find myself paying 4-5 X guide just for a 9.0,Books are so hard to come buy,i'm almost forced to pay it.This run is not coming to me cheap either,and it'll take a few years to complete.It's all worth it in the end 893applaud-thumb.gif

Bonds,

I agree with you 101%!! You said everything I was thinking as soon as I hit the link at the start of the thread. Bogus bid and "pass me the sunglasses" images.

Heritage has an awesome selection, all in the same place at the same time, but it's hard to swallow that in all probability, the same bidders are willing to pay 200% to 600% more than Ebay prices for the "priviledge" of buying from Heritage, and paying a vigorish on top of it!!

I wasn't aware that you could set the brightness, contrast, and intensity on 110 until I saw those images!!! Most software only goes up to 100!!! 27_laughing.gif

I think it's also the case that the scarcity is being advertised much more than in the past. CBG has highlighted many issues recently and noting how rare JIMs are in HG. I think it's more of the word getting out than any speculation on any proposed movie/TV series.

Jim

I think JIM 124 was part of the Mile High 2 find, because it's readily available in high grade as compared to all the other JIMs. In CGC's census, there are 33 copies of 124 in 9.4/9.6 and only 4 copies of 115 in those grades. Because of the higher supply, I was able to get this book for $250 on ebay last year: