• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Bolland Killing Joke Art

40 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a private collector who is primarily interested in art from the 1980's. Currently, I am looking for some Killing Joke artwork by Brian Bolland. I can offer cash and have some very nice trade items to offer for the right piece (Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.). Please contact me privately if you have something to offer, no matter how minor. Thank you!

Hello,

I am a private collector who is primarily interested in art from the 1980's. Currently, I am looking for some Killing Joke artwork by Brian Bolland. I can offer cash and have some very nice trade items to offer for the right piece (Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.). Please contact me privately if you have something to offer, no matter how minor. Thank you!

Best of luck finding one. I am to the point of believing that without luck none of us will find/acquire one. You have dealers asking for and getting obscene numbers for pages in the rare occasion that they unearth one, and an overall dearth of information about where some of the pages reside. Although a close friend just added a great page to his collection after years of looking.

Personally, I went so far as to offering a 3/4 splash from Dark Knight in trade (announced publically) and got zero responses.

There are even some guys saying they will pay $20k or more for a piece (but no one knows for sure if those guys will actually pony the cash if a piece ever shows).

Those 48 pages seem to have risen to Mythical proportions in our hobby. I am sincere in best wishes. If I can't get the joy of finding one for myself it is the next best thing.

Chris

The cover exists and was posted (briefly) in the owner's CAF site. Hari and I nearly dropped dead when we saw it!

I thought that was a prelim. I saw it listed in CAF (if we are talking KJ cover) and it did not match up with the printed cover. Unless I am thinking of another lister's gallery. It was a while ago.

Chris

Chris

I'll defer to you. I saw it once and it was quickly (I think) taken down. Don't know if anyone saved the image. Looked pretty good to me but again I am no KJ expert.

Stephen

I would have severely crapped myself if it was real, which is why I posted a reply here. If it was posted in another gallery other than the one I saw I wanted to find out.

I remember contacting the person who posted it to ask some questions. I remember hearing back it was in pencil and he darkened it for the scan to CAF.

I have to check my old emails.

I think the entire CAF had a "What the hell?" moment when that went up.

Chris

iam starting to think with all the hoopla over kj pages. $ 20.000 FOR A GOOD PAGE. i just wonder if in the near future . will brian start doing reproduction of killing joke pages. i mean do you really think he would turn down 20k somewhere in the near future to do them if these page still keep rising in price.s. confused-smiley-013.gif

larry ;]

Chris

I'll defer to you. I saw it once and it was quickly (I think) taken down. Don't know if anyone saved the image. Looked pretty good to me but again I am no KJ expert.

Stephen

It wasn't the real deal. It sure looked good, though!

So where is the cover ? gossip.gif

I think I have a fair idea where it resides and was hoping to make a pitch involving it but as time goes on that becomes likely I think. (And no it's not Brian I'm referring to) shy.gif

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what the cover might command these days?

And will that increase if it places high in the top DC covers of all time poll? (I'm guessing it can't win versus Crisis 7)

Joseph

My Gallery

http://qurls.com?i=1402

If Bolland didn't keep that cover, I'd be amazed.

I'm surprised by how much artwork gets sold by artists. I realize that it's their livelihood to sell work, but you'd think that they'd want to keep at least some best pieces for themselves.

I'm surprised by how much artwork gets sold by artists. I realize that it's their livelihood to sell work, but you'd think that they'd want to keep at least some best pieces for themselves.

There are some artists who have no desire to keep any of their originals. They just see it as work.

There are some artists who have no desire to keep any of their originals. They just see it as work.

Some artists also sell thier work cause they need the money.

Some artists also sell thier work cause they need the money.

Artists back in the day were not paid very well, so I don't blame them at all for selling their originals. Of course, prices have escalated and they could have made more money off them today, but that is only in hindsight. How would Bolland have known that the Killing Joke would prove so timeless? At the time, it was considered more of an anticlimactic event after Miller's Dark Knight. Same goes for McKean's Arkham Asylum. Only now do we see the impact of these works on the 80s and comicdom in general.