• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Starlin Master of Kung Fu

13 posts in this topic

Hi there, i have been collecting comics now for a while, but only recently (2 years ago) converted over to collecting comic art. I have been looking for (as my username suggest) mainly Master of Kung Fu pages & covers.

I have recently inherited some money and i am looking to pick up something special. I was thinking about the cover to Special Marvel Edition #15 by Jim Starlin (1st appearance of Master of Kung Fu). Has anyone on the boards seen it for sale recently and can they give me an indication of the likely price.

Thanks in advance

Ionanis

Merry Christams by the way...

Hi there, i have been collecting comics now for a while, but only recently (2 years ago) converted over to collecting comic art. I have been looking for (as my username suggest) mainly Master of Kung Fu pages & covers.

I have recently inherited some money and i am looking to pick up something special. I was thinking about the cover to Special Marvel Edition #15 by Jim Starlin (1st appearance of Master of Kung Fu). Has anyone on the boards seen it for sale recently and can they give me an indication of the likely price.

Thanks in advance

Ionanis

I was offered this cover a few years ago. I think the asking price was something like 10K at the time. I am sure it would be closer to 15K today. I can't remember who owns it now, but Shaun Clancey was the seller back then and I may have his email somewhere. Send me a PM and I'll try to track his email down for you.

I do have one page from the issue, if you want to see it on my website: www.nighthawkcomics.com

All the best,

Thanks guys, i did some research before this and saw that it was advertised (around 6 years ago) in one of the old catalogues (Greg Manning?) for $15k.

Do you know how long ago Shaun had it ? Was it before or after that.

Thanks

Six years ago? Shaun had it after that then.

Thanks guys, i did some research before this and saw that it was advertised (around 6 years ago) in one of the old catalogues (Greg Manning?) for $15k.

Do you know how long ago Shaun had it ? Was it before or after that.

Thanks

Six years ago? Shaun had it after that then.

I just sent you a PM with Shaun's email address. Good luck. Tell him I sent you.

Thanks for the PM Hari, Can anyone give me an indication of what current market value roughly would be. Given that it was sold for $15k some 6 years ago ?? and that there has been some talk about the Master of Kung Fu film coming out in a few years, i was budgeting around $20k ?

Also does anyone have any ideas as to how many of the Paul Gulacy covers from the Master of Kung Fu series have come out into the market place in the last 3 or so years? I have seen 1 only (#51), but it was at a silly price $45k !!!

thanks

Thanks in advance

Ionanis

Shaun does not have the cover anymore. Here probably the best page from the book:

best page

Shaun does not have the cover anymore. Here probably the best page from the book:

best page

That is gorgeous...an artist in peak form.

I seem to remember a 2 page splash/spread from that book being offered at auction some years back...or I am senile?

Chris

Thanks in advance

Ionanis

best page

Aaah, Stephen - but then the question begs - who DOES own the cover now? Do you own it?

Sure is a nice page. The cover in my mind is just superb - Fu Manchu/Shang Chi and a great Ying/Yang symbol to boot.

takeit.gif

I was speaking with the owner of this piece on the weekend, and he raised this thread while we were talking.

And I have some bad news for you...ok you get the gist.

No disrespect, just the guy feels now is not the time to potentially sell the piece. It's a stunning piece in it's own right, regardless of any character significance, and Jim Starlin...well he's a big fan, like so many others.