• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4. Good deal?

30 posts in this topic

Not the worst deal in the world given she probably knew little about comics (my guess) but you could/should be able to get a similar CGC copy (G/VG?)without the loose centerfold. Here's a copy that I bet he might sell for $300 or so, its what I would go for at that price.

Link

Go with your gut that your copy is not worth the price. Here's my copy I'd sell for $600 to give you another reference point. In my review this post comes across as a little pompous but not quite sure how to rectify. shy.gif

av4b.jpg

av4bbc.jpg

Not pompus at all! I appreciate the reference!

Now that I see your copy, and the link, I am more in doubt of my copy than before. While it might be a comporable price for the condition, I think every time I look at it, I will see the hanging centerfold. She bought it at my LCS. I think I will call them and see what they can do for me. It's possible they have a better copy.

Thanks FT88!

I am not sure what to say. If I was to be perfectly honest with you, I think your LCS took your wife for a ride and unloaded a book on her that was over graded or overpriced, or BOTH

Before I get mad though more details would be needed. Are you friends with your LCS? Do you do business with them very much? What is your history with them? Did she just go in and say I want to spend this much? My husband wants this #4 book?

I dont mean for this to sound rude, or a slap in the face towards your wife. She did not know better, she is new to comics. She was trying to do sometthing nice and your LCS fellas unloaded a dog of a book on her. That #4 isnt worth $280 even if the centerfold was still attached.

Again, I hope this does not come off as rude, but I think you should be pretty steamed.

As for what to do about it, THAT is a good question. I feel badly for you about the entire situation.

What comic shop was it btw?

Ze-

I understand your perception Ze-man. I don't think though that was particulary the case in this instance. I have been with my LCS for quite a while. They are a great source of back issues for me. There pricing has always been pretty fair! In this case, I had been eyeing the book in their glass case for the better part of a year, figuring it was a low grade, hence affordable, pickup. I never priced it though. My wife, god bless her, went in to the shop and picked it up for me. It was priced on the back when they took it out of the case. I don't think there was any malice in it. I do think however this particular issue was overpriced. (Perhaps not, thats why these boards are valuable!)

I went into the shop and told them it wasn't really the issue I was looking for. They have offered me store credit. (I found out she paid $240.00 as opposed to $280.00)

Now however, it has sentimental value as it's the first comic she has bought me. I won't be back in the store until next Thursday.

Good idea Ze-man, I will move this to the general forums to see what everyone thinks.

The more I think about it, the better I feel about it. I feel very comfortable that they will exchange for something else. I think it's very difficult for a non comic person to purchase an issue. Especially with no grading experience. I feel priviledged to have a wife that is not only accepting of my hobby, but approving!

I will let you all know what happens Thursday!

I am really happy for you. Glad it will work out, and yes.. you might want to just eat the loss if you consider it worth keeping based on the fact that your wife went out and bought it. So many factors to consider here besides money. And that my friend falls squarely on your shoulders.

If you get something new please post it! And if you keep it.. perhaps that loose centerfold will remind you of your wife and her gesture in giving you the book.

All the best,

Ze-

I think it's very difficult for a non comic person to purchase an issue. Especially with no grading experience.

I agree wholeheartedly and that's why I've never asked for comics from any family member or girlfriend. In fact, I've actively discouraged them from buying comics for me for concerns of this very thing happening.

yeah, when my wife buys me comic stuff it's new stuff like an R. Crumb comic or an Alex Ross book. She might overpay because she's paying full retail, but condition isn't an issue (she's very OCD, so she would only buy the nicest one of the shelf anyway)

Unfortunately, she was present when the page fell out. Now she feels bad.

She probably won't buy me another.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it or not. (sigh)

If your comic book store is active in the hobby and has the contacts, ask them to hunt down a better copy of Avengers #4 for you --apply the store credit and toss in an extra couple of hundred.

Now you will have a book you want and have maintained the sentimental value of the original purchase in that it allowed you to trade up.

Dennis

She probably won't buy me another.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it or not. (sigh)

If your comic book store is active in the hobby and has the contacts, ask them to hunt down a better copy of Avengers #4 for you --apply the store credit and toss in an extra couple of hundred.

Now you will have a book you want and have maintained the sentimental value of the original purchase in that it allowed you to trade up.

Dennis

That would be my suggestion too.

you need to let her know that she's done something very supportive and kind for you. most women won't buy books for their spouses. hell, some wives try actively to get their husbands out of the hobby altogether, so you're a couple of legs up on those people

you need to let her know that she's done something very supportive and kind for you. most women won't buy books for their spouses. hell, some wives try actively to get their husbands out of the hobby altogether, so you're a couple of legs up on those people

893applaud-thumb.gif

Ditto, she did something nice.

Period

The end result may have have been less then desirable, be honest with her. Tell her what the deas is.

I can only bring you closer.