• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4. Good deal?

30 posts in this topic

I understand your perception Ze-man. I don't think though that was particulary the case in this instance. I have been with my LCS for quite a while. They are a great source of back issues for me. There pricing has always been pretty fair! In this case, I had been eyeing the book in their glass case for the better part of a year, figuring it was a low grade, hence affordable, pickup. I never priced it though. My wife, god bless her, went in to the shop and picked it up for me. It was priced on the back when they took it out of the case. I don't think there was any malice in it. I do think however this particular issue was overpriced. (Perhaps not, thats why these boards are valuable!)

I went into the shop and told them it wasn't really the issue I was looking for. They have offered me store credit. (I found out she paid $240.00 as opposed to $280.00)

Now however, it has sentimental value as it's the first comic she has bought me. I won't be back in the store until next Thursday.

Good idea Ze-man, I will move this to the general forums to see what everyone thinks.

You can't put a price on ssentimental value! If you can get beyond that take it back and get the store credit, this book just isn't worth owning at that price IMO. I truly think both you and your wife will end up happier if you return it! After all whats the real sentimental value of something neither of you feel really good about?-Dave

Well I will chime in from my opinion and my girl friend's opinion.

sentimental value > cash value

I'd never return/trade something my gf got me even if she got ripped off or got something I wouldn't enjoy. It's the fact that she was thoughtful enough to do it on her own vs us discussing and getting it together. But that's just my opinion and after reading some comments I wouldn't see the harm in trading either in your case.

Unfortunately, she was present when the page fell out. Now she feels bad.

I think this would be the final determnng factor for me - if it was my wife and she was unhappy about the deal it would definitely lead me to reurn it.

Depending on what's been said by dmobley already to his gf, the following advice may no longer apply, but if you value her as a girlfriend remember this when discussing the book.

She did NOT overpay.

The loose centerfold DOES NOT matter.

She couldn't have found a more perfect gift.

If you tell her otherwise, enjoy the boxer shorts and tube socks next Christmas.

She probably won't buy me another.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it or not. (sigh)

When you have someone buy a comic as a gift, make sure it's CGCed if it's over a $100 comic.

As to your book.

I'd grade it as a G+(2.5). Since loose centerfolds are allowed in the good grade it probably wouldn't lower the technical grade. But it would be a 2.5 with the note of a loose centerfold which means it wouldn't be worth as much as a 2.5 without the note.

OS Good = $135.00

If I was selling this book here I'd probably grade it as a qualified 2.5 priced at a 2.0 price of $135.00 and take an offer of anything over $100.00 if no one hit my BIN after one day.

She probably won't buy me another.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it or not. (sigh)

When you have someone buy a comic as a gift, make sure it's CGCed if it's over a $100 comic.

As to your book.

I'd grade it as a G+(2.5). Since loose centerfolds are allowed in the good grade it probably wouldn't lower the technical grade. But it would be a 2.5 with the note of a loose centerfold which means it wouldn't be worth as much as a 2.5 without the note.

OS Good = $135.00

If I was selling this book here I'd probably grade it as a qualified 2.5 priced at a 2.0 price of $135.00 and take an offer of anything over $100.00 if no one hit my BIN after one day.

I don't think they would note it on the label these days. Before I bought my Cap 75 I called for graders notes and one of them was detached center fold and the book is a 3.0.

To close the thread:

My LCS today told me to bring the comic back in for store credit. The full amount. Also, they offered to have me stop by the warehouse to do some shopping! The warehouse is where they keep the good stuff!

While I don't think they have a higher quality Avengers #4, I picked one up from Comiclink that I am satisfied with. My wife is pleased as well, because now she doesn't feel like she got taken for a ride.

What a good day it is indeed!

To close the thread:

My LCS today told me to bring the comic back in for store credit. The full amount. Also, they offered to have me stop by the warehouse to do some shopping! The warehouse is where they keep the good stuff!

While I don't think they have a higher quality Avengers #4, I picked one up from Comiclink that I am satisfied with. My wife is pleased as well, because now she doesn't feel like she got taken for a ride.

What a good day it is indeed!

893applaud-thumb.gif

dmobley. Thank God your girlfriend bought you Marvey key issue! Take her with you and let her pick something else for you or keep it and be thrilled she obviously adores you. I fought exwife 20+ years about what I bought and sold.

My wife bought me this for Christmas. It's been one of my grails for a long time. She paid $280.00. What disturbs me is...the centerfold is not attached. What grade would you give this? 1551214-Avengers.jpg

Price for an Avengers #4 in Good condition: $200.00 (?)

The fact that your wife bought it for you for Christmas: PRICELESS.

thumbsup2.gif