• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Seeley and Mail Order Collecting

32 posts in this topic

I never used any of the dealers who advertised in comics, but back in the seventies The Buyer's Guide (For Comic Fandom) was my source.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Did you save any of them? It would be such a hoot to post some of the ads, not only for the utter ridiculousness of the prices, but also for the "hand made" approach and disdain for grading in most of them. I see later ones from the eighties listed for sale on E-Bay, but almost never ones from the early seventies (number 1 is on E-Bay currently with an opening bid of $1K).

I have a number one confused-smiley-013.gif

Showoff! Actually, I remember you posting a fractional scan of it in a prior thread. hail.gif Can you scan a couple of the ads without damaging the paper?

I loved receiving my weekly TBG.

Sure, my copy is ratty anyways. Will do it later. I recall looking at the ads in the past but didn't really recognize any of the dealers. poke2.gif

I remember opening the package up with my buddy Kenny Young, and upon seeing the books, he muttered 'You B*stard!'

Good times!

We were twelve!

Right afterwards, we hopped on our motocross bikes, went to Oliver's Corner Store and picked up fresh copies of Weird War.... it was 1981, but it was just like yesterday.

Shep

Thanks for the looks, Greg! Dig those insane prices on Silver age...(look at all the books for a quarter, wowee)

They bring back alot of memories of my earliest back-issue collecting. I became a TBG subscriber in '72 or '73, and poured through every ad of every ish for years. Love the Buddy Saunders and Terry Stroud ads: all books GOOD TO MINT! Testimonials from satisfied customers! I know I bought from Mr. Stroud. These ads help everyone born after the era of TBG understand it was truly the E-Bay of its day as a mail order comic book flea market.

In school, some collector friends and I enjoyed the Mile High Comics insert in the "This Comic could be worth $2500" issues. At least I think that was the one...

We liked seeing some of our books had value. Micronauts # 1 was a whopping 1.50 I believe.

Could never afford to send away for any. The prices didn't seem too bad at the time though I wouldn't order from them now if they had a 75% off sale.

I ordered from Gary Dolgoff out of the Price Guide once...he was offering up loads of VG/F books for $1 each.

As a member of the "reader first" ranks this was just fine with me.

In the past I had catalogs from Clint's Comics, Discount Comics (loved the descriptive catalog), and Max Seeley. I liked the inserts you got with the catalog. They were informative for me at the time.

Only once did I do the mail order thing. I can't remember if it was Seeley or Bell as I was only about 14. I got something like 40 Conan's from the 40's to the 90's for around $10 if memory serves. I can still remember the excitement of getting the package. God, if only I could bottle that "feeling" from youth. It's not quite the same now (though still fun) and I miss it.

Only once did I do the mail order thing. I can't remember if it was Seeley or Bell as I was only about 14. I got something like 40 Conan's from the 40's to the 90's for around $10 if memory serves. I can still remember the excitement of getting the package. God, if only I could bottle that "feeling" from youth. It's not quite the same now (though still fun) and I miss it.

You know, even now when I get a package in the mail and know that it's comics, I get the same kind of buzz I did as a kid. I've got some books coming in this week, and I am so f*cking amped I can barely focus on work.

I love it.

Shep

You know, even now when I get a package in the mail and know that it's comics, I get the same kind of buzz I did as a kid. I've got some books coming in this week, and I am so f*cking amped I can barely focus on work.

I love it.

Shep

Ditto. cloud9.gif