• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel, EC, and the Holy Grail

28 posts in this topic

Fellow Forumites some help please...

I am currently looking for a comic that has eluded me for years. One of the problems in finding the issue is it's a story in one of the Marvel (I thought) horror reprint titles and was released during the 1973-1974 timeframe.

The story involves a convict that plans to escape from prison by hiding in a coffin of a dead prisoner. He makes a deal with another convict that's being released who will dig him up afterwards. The convict enacts his plan and wakes up after being buried. He strikes a match and realizes that the dead prisoner with him is the person who supposed to dig him up.

I have diligently collected most all of the Marvel titles in that timeframe and have come up empty. Unless it's in the very few I still need then it must be a non-Marvel title. Someone here once said that he remembered the story as coming from an EC comic. I discounted that at the time as I didn't believe that EC reprints were released in that timeframe (and ,I thought, confirmed by Overstreet). I was wrong......

Received a nice mystery lot I bought off of eBay today grin.gif and, lo and behold, there was a Crypt of Terror #1 reprint from 1973. Apparently they are listed as EC Classics in Overstreet. So some help is needed.....

Does anyone know which issue (any publisher) this story appeared in during the 1973-1974 timeframe? I'm only interested in the reprint comic itself....weird maybe but that's my goal.

Does anyone know for a fact that the story was originally in EC Comics?

If it was an EC Comic, does anyone know how many issues of EC Classics were released in 1973-1974? Were they numbered sequentially?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

You know it seems like I remember that story as well from one of the Russ Cochran reprints of EC's in the late 80s.

But all the horror comics I've read seem to run together. I can't recall for sure. It may be a DC or Marvel as well (Chamber of Horrors, Tomb of Darkness, Fear?)

Sorry. I guess I'm no real help at all. But if no one else responds with a positive answer, I'll check my books to see if I have it.

they are listed as EC Classics in Overstreet. So some help is needed.....

Does anyone know which issue (any publisher) this story appeared in during the 1973-1974 timeframe? I'm only interested in the reprint comic itself....weird maybe but that's my goal.

Does anyone know for a fact that the story was originally in EC Comics?

If it was an EC Comic, does anyone know how many issues of EC Classics were released in 1973-1974? Were they numbered sequentially?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

I believe those were the very first EC comics-sized reprints (after the Ballantine B&W paperbacks in the 1960s). Before Cochran, before Gladstone. They were published by "East Coast Comix" and I believe there were 12 of them. Have them at home & will check for that story tonight. Like Kev, I remember seeing a cover image similar to the one you describe-- a match is lit inside a buried coffin. Will see what I can find.

Cheers,

Z.

To be honest, I'm doubtful it was in an EC Classics. They cost $1 and I doubt my grandfather would have spent the money considering comics at the time cost 20 cents. And I remember getting him to spring for those 50 and 60 cent DC 100 Page Super Spectaculars was tough.......but he did. grin.gif

Were they widely available on the newsstand as they were published by East Coast Comix?

Jim

I think thats ones from the Tales of the Crypt TV show. I remember watching that one. The other convict was an older convict who couldn't see very well without his glasses. A little before the whole thing was going to go down the older convict got a letter or something. The convict who was going to be in the coffin misread the letter (to the older man) so he would later help him dig the guy out.

Older guy kills himself. Convict ends up with him. (Can't remember all the deatails)

Jim, I've struck out. I do have 11 of the 12 East Coast Comix, but none with that story. I remember seeing it or something similar at one time. If it's pre-code horror (or reprint of the same), you might try a PM to povertyrow-- not sure he hangs out much in the Bronze section.

Regarding East Coast Comix, they were all priced at $1 or $1.25-- but I don't remember seeing them on the newstands (was just starting to buy comics as a kid in '73). You'll see the ad for subscriptions in your copy-- I suspect with the 'Comix' spelling they were also sold in the head shops of the day and other underground comix venues. Hmm...perhaps your other theory of this being a Marvel Bronze reprint will pan out? drbanner maybe?

I think thats ones from the Tales of the Crypt TV show. I remember watching that one. The other convict was an older convict who couldn't see very well without his glasses. A little before the whole thing was going to go down the older convict got a letter or something. The convict who was going to be in the coffin misread the letter (to the older man) so he would later help him dig the guy out.

Older guy kills himself. Convict ends up with him. (Can't remember all the deatails)

i remeber this scenario being asked about last year. that was my response too. i really thought it was from a TFTC TV show - but the shows are based on the books - in the opening credits they will say Vault of Horror, Tales From The Crypt, Crime SuspenseStories etc. So if it WAS from the show it was probably lifted from some EC. But I have yet to find which one.

The more I thought about the more I don't think it was an EC comic or Tales from the Crypt.

So I found the TV episode for ya. I believe it was also resently remade in color

Rip..........

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Episode Guide

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-2705/season-2

50. Final Escape

gs: Hinton Pope (Second guard) Edd Byrnes (John Perry) Stephen McNally (Captain) Robert Keith (Doc) John Alderson (Third guard) Nicholas Colasanto (Work Partner) Bernie Hamilton (Second convict) Stacy Harris (Lawyer) John Kellogg (First guard)

A convicted bank robber John Perry is sentenced to 15 years hard labor in a state prison lumber camp. Determined to get out, James befriend an alcoholic inmate named Doc. Doc is in charge of the prison infirmary as well as burials for the dead. Doc makes an offer to John: if John will fincance an operation for Doc's granddaughter, he will get him out of prison. Doc's plan is to hide Perry inside the coffin of the next inmate who dies. The coffin will then be buried and dug up after the gravediggers and guards leave. Perry will then make his escape. All goes according to plan, until Doc fails to dig Perry up. Perry then learns why when the shroud slips from the face of the corpse sharing the coffin with him. Its Doc who died of a heart attack the night before.

b: 21-Feb-1964 w: John Resko s: Thomas H. Cannan, Jr. and Randall Hood d: William Whitney

The more I thought about the more I don't think it was an EC comic or Tales from the Crypt.

So I found the TV episode for ya. I believe it was also resently remade in color

Rip..........

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Episode Guide

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-2705/season-2

50. Final Escape

gs: Hinton Pope (Second guard) Edd Byrnes (John Perry) Stephen McNally (Captain) Robert Keith (Doc) John Alderson (Third guard) Nicholas Colasanto (Work Partner) Bernie Hamilton (Second convict) Stacy Harris (Lawyer) John Kellogg (First guard)

A convicted bank robber John Perry is sentenced to 15 years hard labor in a state prison lumber camp. Determined to get out, James befriend an alcoholic inmate named Doc. Doc is in charge of the prison infirmary as well as burials for the dead. Doc makes an offer to John: if John will fincance an operation for Doc's granddaughter, he will get him out of prison. Doc's plan is to hide Perry inside the coffin of the next inmate who dies. The coffin will then be buried and dug up after the gravediggers and guards leave. Perry will then make his escape. All goes according to plan, until Doc fails to dig Perry up. Perry then learns why when the shroud slips from the face of the corpse sharing the coffin with him. Its Doc who died of a heart attack the night before.

b: 21-Feb-1964 w: John Resko s: Thomas H. Cannan, Jr. and Randall Hood d: William Whitney

That is some excellent recon...good use of the internet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well the search is over! It was a Marvel horror reprint! acclaim.gif

I just got back after an unexpected two week stay in the German hospital system and what is waiting for me? A package of Marvel horror reprints I bought from shadroch awhile back. After doing my customary checking of the contents, lo and behold, in the first story of Crypt of Shadows #15, the elusive story of the prisoner that's buried alive I've been looking years for.

Crypt of Shadows #15:

crypt15.jpg

First page of sought after story:

coffin.jpg

To say I'm happy is an understatement! A big hand to shadroch for the assist! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess I can quit collecting comics now.............Nah!

Jim

Come on Donut, look at the cover of the book, he obviously gets out. On top of that, somewhere between being buried alive and diging his way out he turned into a fiend and developed a taste for people.

We all know that the cover of the book always (and I mean always) is directly related to the contents of the story....... tongue.gif

Well, you'd better post the REST of the story! What happens? Does he get out? Why is he there? Inquiring minds want to know!

I think I had this in our dollar box this past weekend ? confused-smiley-013.gif

But congrats to Jim on his find and ery happy for him. I admit I was intrigued with the whole thing and I remembered it in a Tales from the Crypt more than a comic

My GAWD! You actually FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet! I remember the search well. I know I was thinking it was from a tv show like Tales From The Crypt - but I SWAER I STILL remember it from TV and not comics.

Regardless - congratulations!!!!!!!!

that splash is certainly an EC Cover swipe though! Tales from the crypt #28

Good catch, Bones! That's exactly what I thought. Although this swipe is nowhere near as good as Johnny Craig's version! That was a great story in TFTC #28 - going for the old life-insurance scam, a guy and his buddy decide to fake a death.....not going to spoil the story, but it's a good one!

Chris

yeah, the life insurance scam! Man all the scams in those pre-code books, cheating lovers, money, fraud, no wonder hippies didn't trust the establishment, they grew up on pre-code horror!!!! grin.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Chris