• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Human Torch #31

38 posts in this topic

Yeah, 6.5 sounds about right. Not sure where those 4.5s came from! 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif look at the spine... and the top staple.. i had an x-men book purchased as a fine with the same characteristics but looking better and all of you sacked it down to a 4.5 due to the staple wear and creases.

If you are talking about the X-Men 26 you bought from MH, ONE PERSON put it at 4.5, not "all of us". screwy.gif

I would give this one a 6.5 and the X-Men a 6.5...unless the X-Men has water damage on the back cover at the base of the spine. Looking at the scan, it definitely looks like it. I am surprised nobody mentioned it in the thread.

This Book?

grades are given as;

5.5 - 6.0

6.5 / 7.0

5.0 / 5.5

FINE

5.5 / 6.0

and all of you sacked it down to a 4.5 due to the staple wear and creases.

screwy.gif

Yeah, 6.5 sounds about right. Not sure where those 4.5s came from! 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif look at the spine... and the top staple.. i had an x-men book purchased as a fine with the same characteristics but looking better and all of you sacked it down to a 4.5 due to the staple wear and creases.

If you are talking about the X-Men 26 you bought from MH, ONE PERSON put it at 4.5, not "all of us". screwy.gif

I would give this one a 6.5 and the X-Men a 6.5...unless the X-Men has water damage on the back cover at the base of the spine. Looking at the scan, it definitely looks like it. I am surprised nobody mentioned it in the thread.

This Book?

grades are given as;

5.5 - 6.0

6.5 / 7.0

5.0 / 5.5

FINE

5.5 / 6.0

and all of you sacked it down to a 4.5 due to the staple wear and creases.

screwy.gif

No not that book... the 31 makepoint.gif

screwy.gif right back at ya

And there is no water damage at the X-men 26 , makepoint.gif it must be the scan

And there is no water damage at the X-men 26 , makepoint.gif it must be the scan

In hand....I call this book a 6/6.5 but it is kind of shaky as evidenced in the range of grades given. For me the nice cover gloss and clean back cover help to keep the book from dropping lower. The upper spine is still intact, just smooshed a bit....again a result of the upper staple wear.

Don't worry too much Mad Dog, only Neff called your X-Men a VG+, same as he did here.....apparently he's a harsher grader(or still sleepy). stooges.gif

Plus it is hard to figure out that Golden age bump. grin.gif

Sorry Mad Dog, but your X-men #31 does not look better than this Torch #31 - not even close. The X-men has chips out of the front and back cover, a sizable color-breaking crease at the top , and far more spine wear.

Sorry Mad Dog, but your X-men #31 does not look better than this Torch #31 - not even close. The X-men has chips out of the front and back cover, a sizable color-breaking crease at the top , and far more spine wear.

No need to be sorry smile.gif its all just funny books... OK OK maybe my X-men doenst look better in eye appeal due to the spine wear,but my point was that this GA book seems to get the better grades over a SA book in same condition. Mind that the main reason for downgrading the 31 as i talked with a couple of people afterwards on PM as well, was the staple wear as that, technically, took it out of the FN range in light of the creasing as well. THIS book has the exact same staple and also has a couple of chips and is technically not far from my x-book. That led to my original comment that "GA books are treated with gloves" and as i have said before i think it highly illogical to assign a grading bump for age to a technical objective (as much as possible atleast) grade. Carry the idea forward and many more 80's books should be 9.9's instead of being 9.4 and 9.6's

Furthermore it is also the first time that i have been so much lower in opinion than EVERYONE else which i find quite startling tongue.gif

In hand....I call this book a 6/6.5 but it is kind of shaky as evidenced in the range of grades given. For me the nice cover gloss and clean back cover help to keep the book from dropping lower. The upper spine is still intact, just smooshed a bit....again a result of the upper staple wear.

Don't worry too much Mad Dog, only Neff called your X-Men a VG+, same as he did here.....apparently he's a harsher grader(or still sleepy). stooges.gif

Plus it is hard to figure out that Golden age bump. grin.gif

Crow eating time. tonofbricks.gif

After further inspection there does appear to be a small 1/8" spine split at the top of the book. It wasn't there in my original grade of the book, but I probably created it myself when looking through the book.

So those early 4.5s may be right after all 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A 1/8" spine split doesn't knock a 6.0/6.5 down to a 4.5. In fact, it doesn't do much of anything to a 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif Still a nice book! thumbsup2.gif

Well I still revised my auction down to a 5.0 to play it safe.

I'll lose some bucks, but I like happy buyers and no returns. thumbsup2.gif

A 1/8" spine split doesn't knock a 6.0/6.5 down to a 4.5. In fact, it doesn't do much of anything to a 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif Still a nice book! thumbsup2.gif

Good man! 893applaud-thumb.gif

...now I will go lowball it and resell as a 6.5! acclaim.giftongue.gif

jeebus! someone is going to be very very happy with that book

thumbsup2.gif