• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure 40 - worth it?

42 posts in this topic

I came in contact with someone local to me who has an Adventure Comics #40 for sale.

He grades it at G/G+ and claims it is unrestored. He is asking $6k. I asked him to send some scans and I'll probably go check it out this weekend.

Now, I'm really interested in this book. But, buying this means no more buying for me until late summer as it will just blow my comic budget for the next six months. No real buying at the LA Wiz show, or in San Diego.

Someone talk me out of this foolish thinking. tonofbricks.gif

gossip.gif for you Timely fans, he has a Human Torch 1 in, I think, Fair.

I came in contact with someone local to me who has an Adventure Comics #40 for sale.

He grades it at G/G+ and claims it is unrestored. He is asking $6k. I asked him to send some scans and I'll probably go check it out this weekend.

Now, I'm really interested in this book. But, buying this means no more buying for me until late summer as it will just blow my comic budget for the next six months. No real buying at the LA Wiz show, or in San Diego.

Someone talk me out of this foolish thinking. tonofbricks.gif

gossip.gif for you Timely fans, he has a Human Torch 1 in, I think, Fair.

Don't do it bro!!

(Ciorac says, as he tries to hide the signature under his post) blush.gif

I'm asking the same question as Peter and Mark.

Definitely looks like something I'd think about buying - what exactly is wrong with it?

Though it does look like a lot of artwork is missing along the right side of the book - defintiely looks smaller than normal, by maybe up to 1/4".

unless the back cover has a large peice missing from it, this looks like a $25k book, not a $6k book. What you could do is commit to buying it subject to recieving it 1st for an inspection, and overnight it to Susan Cicconi for a restoration check and page count ( which you can do also ).

Since the seller has it in a Fortress, chances are he has been around for a while, and knows what this book is worth. We hope you can get a once in a lifetime deal here, but from reading others posts and this one, you can see that we are quite suspicous of what's really happening here.

Please keep us posted, and good luck thumbsup2.gif

I'm asking the same question as Peter and Mark.

Definitely looks like something I'd think about buying - what exactly is wrong with it?

Though it does look like a lot of artwork is missing along the right side of the book - defintiely looks smaller than normal, by maybe up to 1/4".

Left/right, it compares fine with a lot of copies on Heritage. It's a little short top-to-bottom though. There is also something weird going on at the upper right corner. If this book isn't restored and there's nothing wrong with the back cover, it's a steal at $6,000.

Also, anyone who buys this book should send it to CGC for review, not one of the other restoration professionals. You'll pay approximately the same amount for CGC to grade it and no one can really argue with their restoration detection conclusions because they're generally accepted as the industry standard. And, when it comes to restoration detection, I believe CGC is the best there is.

Also, anyone who buys this book should send it to CGC for review, not one of the other restoration professionals.

agreed...CGC would offer the preferred restoration check, but in this case, grading the book during the "review" period prior to purchase runs the risk of the seller backing out when he finds out his book is a 5.0, not 2.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hence my suggestion of Susan Cicconi

It seems fishy to me.. having this book in a fortress like that tells me he knows what he is doing... unless he inherited it, he also knows about guide value and GPA. So why hasnt it been graded by CGC yet? and why is he only asking for a 3.0 price when book looks like 4.5-5.0 ??

To me it seems that he suspects (or knows) it has been restored, atleast trimmed, and tryes to nail someone with a quick deal getting them to think they buy a 4.5 book for the price of a 2.5, which in this case would be a gain of 15K. This sort of money could make someone make a rash discission which i think is what he is hoping for...

now an interesting question is what do you think FMV is of a apparent MP/MA 4.5-5.0?? seeing as that is probably the worst case scenario you are looking at confused-smiley-013.gif

GPA snapshot:

3.0 sold for 10K in may 2006

5.0 sold for 11K (but way back in nov) 2003

only recorded data for restored books is 8.5 SA and the 9.2 SA church book which sold for 7K in 2002 and church book for 64K!!!( 893whatthe.gif) in 2004 respectively.

Now the GPA data is at best inconclusive but i would guess that if book turns out to be restored in the 4.0-5.0 you would loose about 2-3K.

I would not buy the book without a quick resto check as that is the key to the mystery and agree that Susan would be the best and most discreet option.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out thumbsup2.gif

hello all...

I have a scan of the back cover (been talking to the seller about this book ,and several others this past weekend)...here is what the seller told me about the book:

Staple is loose on bottom, rear cover has 2 small 1/4 to 1/2 in. pieces missing at the top and bottom of spine (he has not disclosed page quality yet, but looking at the exposed paper from back cover missing pieces, appears tannish in those spots, likely due to exposure)...I too told him that I thought he had possibly undergraded, and that the book could be a 3.0 or better...at first glance, it does look trimmed on the RHS, but I compared it to a number of copies, and found it to be consistent with all but 1 copy...so I am unsure if trimmed or not (hence, have resto check done)

I had been thinking about buying the book too, but wanted to have it "checked" first ....the seller suggested we cgc first, and I was sending him a submission form...but, like bill said, likely not more than a 4-5K copy, due to weakened demand for the character if it is a 2.0, but if it is a solid 3.0 or better, then a good price (although a nice key, none the less)...

the seller is a "timely" guy, has cap 1, Marvel 1, HT 1, etc...

rick

hello all...

I have a scan of the back cover (been talking to the seller about this book ,and several others this past weekend)...here is what the seller told me about the book:

Staple is loose on bottom, rear cover has 2 small 1/4 to 1/2 in. pieces missing at the top and bottom of spine, and the page quality appears to by light tan and up...I too told him that I thought he had possibly undergraded, and that the book could be a 3.0 or better...at first glance, it does look trimmed on the RHS, but I compared it to a number of copies, and found it to be consistent with all but 1 copy...so I am unsure if trimmed or not (hence, have resto check done)

I had been thinking about buying the book too, but wanted to have it "checked" first ....the seller suggested we cgc first, and I was sending him a submission form...but, like bill said, likely not more than a 4-5K copy, due to weakened demand for the character if it is a 2.0, but if it is a solid 3.0 or better, then a good price (although a nice key, none the less)...

the seller is a "timely" guy, has cap 1, Marvel 1, HT 1, etc...

rick

Trimming was an instant concern of mine. The cover colors and gloss look amazing. Comfort would be raised if the book could be seen in person.

Thanks all. Rick, sounds like you've been in touch with him first???

Regardless, I'll try and take a look this weekend if we can work out the schedules. Now if I could get him to take it out of the fortress...

hello all...

I am not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg...but, we did talk on the phone end of last week and again this weekend...I bought a different book from him and during one of our phone discussions, he mentioned other dc's he had, and he emailed me the jpgs of the books (and prices) he had for sale...the Adv 40 was one of them...he quoted me the same price, etc, and we have been emailing for a few days on it...but, I did not committ (won't without it being checked first) , so I guess he is shopping it around...bill (ciorac) has made arrangements with Rob Hughes to check the book(s) out, if the seller is so inclined, so if you get a chance first, let us know...I have emailed him, to see if he still wants to submit to cgc, etc..

rick

I'm not sure where Bill got his $4-5K estimate from without the information of being a piece out of the back cover, but here's a pic of one that sold this past year for around 4K and it was a F/G, and we know Heritage got 10K for a G/VG, so 6K for a solid GD+ sounds right on to me. Plus the fact that it has excellent eye appeal for the grade.

And even though this one has more artwork on the right edge, I doubt the other is trimmed unless it was done 30 years ago. The browning of the edges and rounded corners just aren't consistent with a trimmed copy.

adv40.jpg