• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are posts counts important to you?
1 1

88,978 posts in this topic

Halloween sucks. :sumo:

I've got Triangle, Blair Witch, and The Amityville Horror (The original, not the remake guff) lined up for an evenings entertainment.

Gotta love any opportunity to have a horror-movie-a-thon.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I always have a horror fest to watch on Halloween.

I hate the commercial side of it, plus its an American thing anyway.

Watched The Shining again last night. Still plays, even if it does take its time.

Great movie but the book is better.

I'll be watching John Carpenters Halloween this evening.

I've got Triangle, Blair Witch, and The Amityville Horror (The original, not the remake guff) lined up for an evenings entertainment.

It is indeed (Halloween was unheard of in the UK until the mid 80s). However the kids love it, and it is a good reason to put on a horror flick, so there it is.

Watched The Shining again last night. Still plays, even if it does take its time.

Have you read the BBC article about a documentary, I think called Room 237.

Found link. The Shining - BBC article

Many thanks for the link - I'll no doubt buy that doc. Kubrick occupied such a unique and remote headspace that you have to wonder what he was trying to evoke beneath the surface of that film. Along with The Exorcist, it's one of the few older horror films that still has the power to shock and disturb.

It is indeed (Halloween was unheard of in the UK until the mid 80s). However the kids love it, and it is a good reason to put on a horror flick, so there it is.

We used to make lanterns out of turnips in the late 1960s early 1970s so I dont agree, I have a picture of me and my sister dressed up for Halloween and I am about 10 that would be 1973. I think its trick or treat is the American influence.

I can remember " A penny for Halloween", the same as penny for the guy.

We used to make lanterns out of turnips in the late 1960s early 1970s so I dont agree, I have a picture of me and my sister dressed up for Halloween and I am about 10 that would be 1973. I think its trick or treat is the American influence.

Seriously? All I know is that (due to reading Mad magazine and U.S. comics from the early ' 70s onwards) I knew all about Halloween, but saw no sign of it until the ' 80s.

Maybe you're right, maybe it was all about the trick or treating turning up later on. Surprised there was a "penny for Halloween" when Bonfire Night is only 5 days later however.

Looks like we were born in the same year...

Seriously? All I know is that (due to reading Mad magazine and U.S. comics from the early ' 70s onwards) I knew all about Halloween, but saw no sign of it until the ' 80s.

Maybe you're right, maybe it was all about the trick or treating turning up later on. Surprised there was a "penny for Halloween" when Bonfire Night is only 5 days later however.

Looks like we were born in the same year...

I was from the very poor end of Newcastle, when we were kids, it didnt take much to get us out "begging" lol

Halloween & Bonfire night was a win win (thumbs u

We used to hawk a guy around for 3 days before bonfire night and about 3 days after lol

Christmas Carol singing used to start in November. :acclaim:

Many thanks for the link - I'll no doubt buy that doc. Kubrick occupied such a unique and remote headspace that you have to wonder what he was trying to evoke beneath the surface of that film. Along with The Exorcist, it's one of the few older horror films that still has the power to shock and disturb.

Cool (thumbs u

I am still a fan of the Omen.

Cool (thumbs u

Does the Exorcist have more impact if your catholic or of faith?

I was never brought up with religion and neither do I believe in it so when I watched the Exorcist it really didn't do anything for me.

I liked the Omen. My recent favourite is Paranormal Activity (1st movie).

Session 9 is also worth a watch, a below the radar film not many people know about.

Session 9 is also worth a watch, a below the radar film not many people know about.

An absolutely fantastic movie. Incredibly atmospheric and un-nerving.

I went through a phase of low-budget indy horror films a few years ago (Probably on the back of Blair Witch), and Session 9 was one of my favourites.

Another recommendation is an indy movie called Salvage (Also known as Gruesome)

Linky

You'll struggle to get hold of a copy but it is worth the hunt.

Ring (Ringu - not the Naomi Watts guff).

The video footage still gets me and the final scene scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it

An absolutely fantastic movie. Incredibly atmospheric and un-nerving.

I went through a phase of low-budget indy horror films a few years ago (Probably on the back of Blair Witch), and Session 9 was one of my favourites.

Another recommendation is an indy movie called Salvage (Also known as Gruesome)

Linky

You'll struggle to get hold of a copy but it is worth the hunt.

Ring (Ringu - not the Naomi Watts guff).

The video footage still gets me and the final scene scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it

+1

Cool (thumbs u

Does the Exorcist have more impact if your catholic or of faith?

I was never brought up with religion and neither do I believe in it so when I watched the Exorcist it really didn't do anything for me.

I liked the Omen. My recent favourite is Paranormal Activity (1st movie).

Speak to Gary about the Exorcist - to him it's the greatest film of all time.