• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are posts counts important to you?
1 1

88,978 posts in this topic

Who remembers this awesomeness...

Perfect drink.. NOT

Back in the '80s my local store (on Finchley Road, North London) had various types of Thunderbird wine on their behind the counter shelves. I'd heard of this wine through it being namechecked by Ian Dury on the song Sweet Gene Vincent and in a biker film called The Loveless, starring Willem Dafoe.

Never was that curious enough to drink it, however. And having read that article, I'm rather glad I didn't. Not really the choice back then of the British wino (Strongbow, Carlsberg Extra and Meths were the beverages du jour of the aspiring itinerant at that time, and no, I wasn't one).

At some point in the mid ' 90s my local stopped stocking it, but I'm fairly sure that you can still track down that product in London if you look for long enough.

I believe your innards will worship the fact that your never drank the diesel tasting elixir that is known as Thunderbird. Then again, a cultured partying person like you that has been to many a house party and not drank Thunderbird ... That is hard to believe meh

Never saw it at house parties....it just wasn't a trendy drink and it was hard to come by (unless you lived near that shop by Finchley Road tube station).

It was reasonably accessible in South London - they tried to poison the better half of London :facepalm:

It's grim up North (London).