• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are posts counts important to you?
1 1

88,978 posts in this topic

Squirrels are awesome.
So are squirrels in the UK brown or gray? I've noticed for years, from the east coast to west coast in the US all the squirrels are gray. Now in oil paintings, nature magazines, and wildlife shows they all have a brown coat. They seem much happier and more interesting cloaked in brown with their varying reddish and yellow hues, closer to chipmunks than fuzzy rats in appearance.

I've never seen a brown squirrel in person and I'm mad as hell! :pullhair:

Nearly all squirrels in the U.K. are grey and were introduced here from America by the Victorians.

There are very few red squirrels left in the U.K. (there are some apparently in Scotland and a few islands but I've never seen one). The grey squirrel has basically displaced the red squirrel as it is far more adaptable and stronger.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm not the only one to have never seen any but the gray ones. For some reason I thought the fur color was due to dominant or recessive genes like with human hair color. I do see the occasional brown or white pigeon among all the gray ones, so I was thinking that might apply to squirrels, not that the color difference was a different breed entirely.

Now if Jimmers comes by he can let us know what squirrels in western Canada look like. :D