• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondering

4 posts in this topic

I'd say majority reflects cover+back, because if they're in good shape I know the pages are fine. Unless of course hidden defects like cut coupons / missing pages etc rarely.

I only curve for GA books.

Does the majority of the grading reflect the cover or pages?

Do gold and silver receive a grading curve versus bronze and modern?

It depends. If the interior pages are thrashed and/or have significant pieces missing, the book will get a really low grade regardless of how nice the cover is. But a crease on the cover will affect the grade more than a crease on an interior page or back cover will.

As for the curve --

CGC grades Golden Age books on a curve because the books themselves are bigger. In other words, a one-inch crease on a Flash Comics #1 will be downgraded less than it would on a Spawn #1 because the Flash Comics #1 is a larger book and a one-inch crease is proportionately smaller than it is on a Spawn #1.

Also, bindery tears and chips are allowed in higher grades on Golden Age books than on newer books simply because they tended to occur more often on the bigger books. (The thickness of the bound book tended to cause tears in the cover stock during folding, and the trimming process would hack off those tears, resulting in bindery chips on books that came straight off the bindery machinery.)

Silver age Marvels with overhang tend to get downgraded less harshly for damage to the overhang than new books would if they had no overhang but similar edge wear. Also, damage from bundling twine is downgraded less on Golden and Silver Age books, as are single rack-bends at the spine. These defects aren't "ignored"; they're just downgraded less harshly.

Does the majority of the grading reflect the cover or pages?

Do gold and silver receive a grading curve versus bronze and modern?

It all depends on who is doing the grading.