• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM GS Super-Heroes #1

6 posts in this topic

This is a nice NM- with a LLH corner ding keeping it from NM.

GSSuper-Heroes1B.jpg

Unfortunately, there is a 3/4" tear on the back cover URHC. The sides of this tear are well matched and glued down, which makes me believe that it must have happened during production. Does this make it a production defect with no deduction or is the book basically a fine?

GSSuper-Heroes1BB.jpg

Thanks, Mike

Unfortunately, there is a 3/4" tear on the back cover URHC. The sides of this tear are well matched and glued down, which makes me believe that it must have happened during production.

Are you sure it's not a glue tear seal?

Does this make it a production defect with no deduction or is the book basically a fine?

IMO, the train of though that any book with a tear X amount of inches long MUST be automatically reduced to grade Y is faulty and a myth.

Very often, CGC takes a deductive approach, that is, the tear reduces the grade a number of points rather than issuing a flat grade. It makes sense really. Should a 7.0 with a 3/4 inch tear be graded the same as a 9.2 with a 3/4 inch tear (6.0)? Of course not. I would probably deduct several grade steps from this book due to the tear... maybe call it an 8.0.

No, the tear isn't glued together, both sides are glued down to the last page. The glue from the spine must have flowed out as the back cover is glued down to the back page farther in than normal all the way down its length. Mike