• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Action #77

50 posts in this topic

Light foxing, heavy creases on a thicker book along the spine. the obvious wear at the corners and staple area, small bend in upper left corner of the back along with sun shadow on the back would make this a solid 6.0. I don't think the scribble on the title takes away anything from the grade.

6.0 was what i was thinking but GA is not my specialty

nor mine, though... can't say what my forte is when it comes to grading Christo_pull_hair.gif

i was thinking around 6.0 as well... but again, don't know if that really translastes into a 6.5 -- because of the books age -- or if that is just an urban legend...

Any defect in particular that would cause you to drop the book below Fine?

Maybe what's throwing you is the foxing...I'm not a huge fan of it either, but CGC doesn't count it against the final grade (& Mike is saying it's more minimal in hand anyhow). If you take that out of the equation, the book's positives would seem to outweigh its flaws. confused-smiley-013.gif

Front cover is in the 7.0/7.5 territory for sure - regardless of the age of the book. The minor foxing being the only problematic issue. The back cover a little worse, but not enough to drop the book to 6.0. CGC may not punish a mid-grade GA for foxing and dust/sun shadows, but IMHO they should count against the grade.

I'm in agreement with the 6.5 assessment, possibly a notch higher.

As to a GA curve, someone please post a silver or bronze book in this sort of shape graded less than 6.5.

While CGC may make exceptions for bindry chips,foxing, fading and shadows on GA books that I wouldn't, their tolerance for Marvel chipping is far more egregious IMHO. And they are lenient with printing smugesand creases and the like from all eras. If there is a general curve to found, it's with copper and modern books, which are so readily found in high grade, that the accumulation of a handful of imperfections is readily percieved as "VG at best" by many.

Any defect in particular that would cause you to drop the book below Fine?

Maybe what's throwing you is the foxing...I'm not a huge fan of it either, but CGC doesn't count it against the final grade (& Mike is saying it's more minimal in hand anyhow). If you take that out of the equation, the book's positives would seem to outweigh its flaws. confused-smiley-013.gif

This one a cracked 8.0 with board opinions varying from 6.0-7.5

X-men37.jpg

X-men37_BC.jpg

This one a fine 6.0 with board opinions 4.5-6.0, consensus lying at 5.5-6.0

X-men26.jpg

X-men26_BC.jpg

Both late silver ... now compare to the book in this thread makepoint.gif

I would call it a 5.5 just below my X-men 26 gradewise but i can only wonder at the people believing this is in VF range

I'm in agreement with the 6.5 assessment, possibly a notch higher.

As to a GA curve, someone please post a silver or bronze book in this sort of shape graded less than 6.5.

A 5.0-5-5 silver

X-men50.jpg

X-men50BC.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Unless there's damage not visible on the scan, I would be really surprised if this book comes back from CGC as less than a 7.0. I've submitted GA books that looked worse that got 7.0s. We all know that CGC has different standards for GA and SA, so comparing Action 77 to a late SA X-Men just isn't very useful.