• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to get the stories "in color"?

2 posts in this topic

What is the best way to pick up the Silver Age keys & first 10 issues in color?

I've seen the Marvel Masterworks "paperbacks" at Barnes & Noble for $12.95 each.

(Books like ASM 1-10, Hulk 1-10, compiled and in color)

Are those the "best deal" for reading the books?

I know the Essentials include more comics per book in B & W...

but I'm not sure I want B&W reprints of color books.

In color, it's the Marvel Masterworks... and if you really want a keepsake, I'd suggest the hardback version of the Marvel Masterworks.

Although the Masterworks from Barnes and Noble are cheap, the reproduction quality and paper are not the best. The Masterworks series are being "remastered" and currently are coming out on a regular basis. thus, all the older more expensive versions are slowly but surely going to be put out new. Marvel has recolored many of the volumes and put the issues in their original order with the original material.

I can't recommend that series enough... it's tremendous. I wish they would put new ones out.

As for DC, the Archive editions are beautiful and in fact, superior to the Masterworks in their reprint quality. They use a nicer quality paper and not super glossy. It doesn't have that day glow look. Their deluxe volumes on Crisis, the Neal Adams Deadman and GL/GA books is amazing (just imagine what the Batman neal adams book will look like) and their archives are utilizing a similar process. DC also does a great job at keeping these books in stock and available.

The hardcovers are expensive $50 a pop: but you can get them from amazon (for $35) or you can strike a deal with a local shop (like I did) guarenteeing I'd purchase all of the Masterworks (got 25% off) and saving myself the shipping costs.