• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grail Arrived Today!!!

31 posts in this topic

The year was 1976 in Osgood, Indiana. A 12 year old kid (me) walks into the local drug store to snag some comics. This store didn't have them in a rack, just one to two small stacks on the bottom shelf of the magazine stand. Flipping through the stack of books, I came across Jungle Action 23. It was what I considered to be the perfect cover. Over the next several months I couldn't tell you how many time I drew that cover. Fast forward to 2006. Dan F. has the original art for that very cover for sell. I agonized over what to do and decided to contact Dan to see if we could work something out. I must say, Dan was so accomdating and helped me to be able to purchase the cover. Well, it arrived to day and I couldn't be happier. I attached the published cover along with the original below. Can I just say, I am in heaven!

Thanks Dan!!!

compare_jungle_action_23_ss.jpg

Black Panther's a character that rightflly should have gotten the filmic treatment years ago. It's only a matter of time..

The really funny think about all of this is I don't specifically collect Panther artwork, but I have three Colan Splash pages with the Panther and a 1/2 splash from Daredevil 69 with the Panther. Now Daredevel 69 is reprinted in Jungle Action 23!

Congrats on getting your grail. It's an incredible cover. I'd love to get my first comic's cover, but I'd have to find it and then sell the cars to get it. Speaking of which... anyone know who has the Uncanny X-Men #181 cover?

Dan, could the inks be by Duffy Vohland? They look like his inks to me, like some of the stuff he inked of Byrne's in the Charlton Bullseye/Portfolio days. I know he inked quite a bit of Byrne's early stuff before Byrne became a big name.

Mike B.

I think Jungle Action 23 has become my "Catcher in the Rye". Every time I see a copy I have to buy. I actually bought a bulk deal, 12 copies from Joe Koch for $4 each all in fn/vfn.

mega-greedy sob. i have the same problem with detective comics 359... but i don't won the cover. tongue.gif