• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grail Arrived Today!!!

31 posts in this topic

The year was 1976 in Osgood, Indiana. A 12 year old kid (me) walks into the local drug store to snag some comics. This store didn't have them in a rack, just one to two small stacks on the bottom shelf of the magazine stand. Flipping through the stack of books, I came across Jungle Action 23. It was what I considered to be the perfect cover. Over the next several months I couldn't tell you how many time I drew that cover. Fast forward to 2006. Dan F. has the original art for that very cover for sell. I agonized over what to do and decided to contact Dan to see if we could work something out. I must say, Dan was so accomdating and helped me to be able to purchase the cover. Well, it arrived to day and I couldn't be happier. I attached the published cover along with the original below. Can I just say, I am in heaven!

Thanks Dan!!!

compare_jungle_action_23_ss.jpg

Awesome! I saw you were looking for a CGC 9.8 copy of the book not too long ago. But getting the actual original cover artwork is about as good as it gets. Great piece. Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am still looking for that 9.8 but I did receive a pretty nice copy. I still have the original I bought off the stand but it looks pretty "used".

Fantastic find. I appreciate the backstory, too: We all have our grails and it's great to hear the reasoning behind 'em.

I'm guessing this goes into your "Artwork I'll Never Sell" collection....

I figured the story would give people some idea why I like it so much. Also, next time this page will be for sell will be when my son sells it after my death assuming he doesn't hold it near and dear to his heart like I do.

Congrats, BA Marvel covers are tough and you got a nice onethumbsup2.gif

To me, the best "grails" are the ones that meant a lot to you as a kid. Afterall, nostalgia is a major component of this hobby. I'm still looking for mine893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Acquiring the original cover of a childhood favorite is, IMO, the pinnacle of collecting art(and comics for that matter). Congratulations. thumbsup2.gif

Great story and a very nice looking cover!

Acquiring the original cover of a childhood favorite is, IMO, the pinnacle of collecting art(and comics for that matter). Congratulations. thumbsup2.gif

I couldn't agree more. In my wildest dreams, I can not imagine ever owning this page. I am still in a state of shock. That said, I have a few "next purchases" in my mind right now.

Congrats on a great cover. Nostalgia + good art = acclaim.gifcloud9.gif, especially for Bronze Age Marvel art fans. (I'm one of 'em!)

I'm trying to find one good cover for each of the major heroes/groups I loved as a kid (FF, Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man, MTU, Cap, etc.) but man are they pricey!

Great pickup!

Dan