• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does writing on inside first page affect overall grade?

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I have had comics graded by CGC in the past and am currently looking at a Silver Age collection, part of which I will also need to be graded by CGC. Can someone give me some idea how much hand written ink 3 digit numbers at the top margin of each inside first page would affect the overall grade. Many of the comics have numbers either written near the center of the top margin or at the inside of the top margin near spine, but only on the first page, not on cover. Some of the numbers are about 1/4 inch tall and circled in ink, but many are smaller than that and not circled. All the numbers seem to have been put there by the original owner and don't seem to have any relevance to the issue number. I guess what I need to know is, for example, if everything else about the comic would have CGC grade it an 8.0, how much, if any, would the grade drop due to these numbers. Thanks so much for your help, Bill

Hi. I have had comics graded by CGC in the past and am currently looking at a Silver Age collection, part of which I will also need to be graded by CGC. Can someone give me some idea how much hand written ink 3 digit numbers at the top margin of each inside first page would affect the overall grade. Many of the comics have numbers either written near the center of the top margin or at the inside of the top margin near spine, but only on the first page, not on cover. Some of the numbers are about 1/4 inch tall and circled in ink, but many are smaller than that and not circled. All the numbers seem to have been put there by the original owner and don't seem to have any relevance to the issue number. I guess what I need to know is, for example, if everything else about the comic would have CGC grade it an 8.0, how much, if any, would the grade drop due to these numbers. Thanks so much for your help, Bill

It would probably not affect the grade one bit unless the book were 9.2/9.4 or better.

It would probably not affect the grade one bit unless the book were 9.2/9.4 or better.

Agree completely, but the writing should be noted when selling.