• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does marvel prechipping (no pieces missing, just tears)

12 posts in this topic

...affect the grade? I've got a bronze 9.8 quality book with two tiny (1/8") production tears at the open edge of the back cover. Rest of the book is perfect.

R.

Whe ASM 33 hit the stands, virtualy every copy had prechipping and drove us all nuts. Think now how collectors would react. I have the Western Penn TTA 44 and it's perfect but fro 2-3 tiny prechips and it got graded 9.2. WIthout the chips, atleast a 9.4. I try to avoid chipped Marvels

keith contarino

Keith, thanks. I'm pretty sure i have seen 9.6 books with pre chip...just wondering if any are allowed to grade higher than 9.6. Those ASM #33's were badly miswrapped too.

...affect the grade? I've got a bronze 9.8 quality book with two tiny (1/8") production tears at the open edge of the back cover. Rest of the book is perfect.

R.

I've seen 9.6s that have two tiny tears like that, if they are production tears on the back cover.

That is strange. I saw an X men #1 a year or two ago, and it was badly prechipped all around and still got an 8.0. There were no pieces missing but the entire book was surrounded by micro tears. Maybe something else on the book brought it down?

R.

Here's an example of the other extreme: an otherwise NM book with extensive prechipping on two edges, but missing no pieces. CGC destroyed it:

JIM90.jpg

Bob, that's a great looking book 893whatthe.gif

If you ever part with it, this one will fly !

Here's another one with significant pre-marvel chipping on one edge from the Massachusset pedigree, this book came out of the Laborocktory a Universal 8.0 White. smile.gif

ST-103-Massachusset-2.jpg

For ST collectors that have a good memory, the pre-Marvel chipping on the Pacific Coast ST 103 (an old label CGC 8.0 OW) that used to be shown on Pedigree was much more discreet than the one on this copy (and quite similar to the prechipping on the Pacific Coast ST 105 that graded at 9.0)

I wonder if CGC are more tolerant now than they were before regarding prechipping. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is strange. I saw an X men #1 a year or two ago, and it was badly prechipped all around and still got an 8.0. There were no pieces missing but the entire book was surrounded by micro tears. Maybe something else on the book brought it down?

R.

No other flaws, Roy, just your typical near-perfect early Pacific Coast Marvel. The prechipping is extensive along virtually the entire right edge, and impacts the top edge as well. An extremely small piece appears missing from the UR corner. I owned the book raw and had expected it to grade around an 8.0 (PCEI graded it as a VF+).

I've seen otherwise NM or NM- books with lots of chips gone grade at 6.5 and 7.0. I think I was a bit hosed on this one.

R.

No other flaws, Roy, just your typical near-perfect early Pacific Coast Marvel. The prechipping is extensive along virtually the entire right edge, and impacts the top edge as well. An extremely small piece appears missing from the UR corner. I owned the book raw and had expected it to grade around an 8.0 (PCEI graded it as a VF+).

I've seen otherwise NM or NM- books with lots of chips gone grade at 6.5 and 7.0. I think I was a bit hosed on this one.

sell it to me. grin.gif