• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage Box Options: Best options for Mylar/boarded comics?

8 posts in this topic

Help please re comics storage boxes. I bought a full set of acid-free gray boxes several years ago, but they a not very sturdy. I move every 3-4 years, so I want sturdy boxes for my comics. All my comics are in Mylars with backing boards, so I don't need to worry about acid in the box cardboard.

I've seen the ads for plastic boxes, the new drawer boxes, etc. What do you all think? I don't have time to make something, so I'm looking for boxes I can buy. I would think double-ply cardboard would be best. I have a number of the CGC boxes that are double-ply, and they are very sturdy, but they seem too big for bagged comics. Thanks for your time and thoughts!

V/R,

Mike

these are sturdy and inexpensive

you may find a better price

states will hold 150-200 but really more like 100 bagged and boarded

http://www.comicsupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=42

There is nothing sturdy and inexpensive that is archival - especially if using mylar and heavyweight boards. Best advice is to build your own. Wish the "big two" would address this with some credible product. BCE offers the wimpy short, short, hot pants boxes, and Gerber offers the hosed down cardboard, weak from the chemical spraydown, and so odd-size that it fits on no standard shelf size.

Sorry for the rant, but both archival producst suck in their own way.

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

There is nothing sturdy and inexpensive that is archival - especially if using mylar and heavyweight boards. Best advice is to build your own. Wish the "big two" would address this with some credible product. BCE offers the wimpy short, short, hot pants boxes, and Gerber offers the hosed down cardboard, weak from the chemical spraydown, and so odd-size that it fits on no standard shelf size.

Sorry for the rant, but both archival producst suck in their own way.

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Archival cardboard is not weak because of being hosed down. It's weak because it has no lignin. But you are 100% correct when you say that there is nothing that is both sturdy and inexpensive that is also archival. frown.gif You can get sturdy custom boxes made by a company like Gaylord.com, but they are not cheap. Unless you're dealing with super expensive comics, though, you're better off just getting regular white magazine-sized cardboard comic boxes (which you'll need if you are using them for silver/golden age sized 4 mil mylars) and swap them out every five or ten years, or whenever they start to smell acidic.

In any event, call Russ at comicsupply.com and I am sure he can talk you through a solution.

Okkay,perhaps I'm going to get reamed here,but I never quite understood the need to be concerned with acid from a cardboard box infiltrating a mylar sleeve.Isn't the mylar designed to prevent just such an event?

Okkay,perhaps I'm going to get reamed here,but I never quite understood the need to be concerned with acid from a cardboard box infiltrating a mylar sleeve.Isn't the mylar designed to prevent just such an event?

Everything is porous, to some extent..., it's the nature of matter. If your using snugs or some other mylars with open ends, then the off-gassing from the deteriorating boxes will infiltrate faster through the openings in the mylar.

See the other thread....,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...0&fpart=all

I emailed Russell to see if he has something that will work, but these boxes look like regular, single-layer boxes.

V/R,

Mike

Does anyone manufacture double-walled cardboard boxes that aren't as tall as the CGC double-walled white boxes? These would be perfect. I'm even considering buying a bunch of the CGC boxes and cutting a couple inches off the top...

V/R,

Mike