• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would some '80's/'90's Issue #1's be worth more graded?

9 posts in this topic

I have several #1 issues in titles that seemed to have been kind of popular (New Mutants, Excaliber, Alpha Flight, Classic X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor - to name a few), but when I look them up in Overstreet they are listed as a flat $4 or $5 or something low like that. If I get them graded out at a 9.0 or whatever, would they be worth more? I know Overstreet listings are "general prices", but I don't want to pay $25 for a CGC grade on a comic that isn't worth $10.

Thanks for any wisdom - Ctwink

I have several #1 issues in titles that seemed to have been kind of popular (New Mutants, Excaliber, Alpha Flight, Classic X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor - to name a few), but when I look them up in Overstreet they are listed as a flat $4 or $5 or something low like that. If I get them graded out at a 9.0 or whatever, would they be worth more? I know Overstreet listings are "general prices", but I don't want to pay $25 for a CGC grade on a comic that isn't worth $10.

As a rule of thumb, don't get any book graded if it is printed after 1975, is a non-key (#1 issues of New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Classic X-Men, etc. are NOT keys), and isn't at least 9.6. For books worth less than $40, don't get it graded unless it is a 9.8. You will be wasting your money otherwise. In fact, I can't think of any books in the New Mutants, Excaliber, Alpha Flight, Classic X-Men, X-Force, or X-Factor series that I would get graded regardless of what grade they are.

Any of the titles you listed will be hard to get even the cgc grading investment back. Unless you have some major keys, ASM#300 for example, then I wouldn't do it. If you will sell in complete runs etc. try the forums first before ebay. ebay will rip you apart on these.

As a rule of thumb, don't get any book graded if it is printed after 1975, is a non-key (#1 issues of New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Classic X-Men, etc. are NOT keys), and isn't at least 9.6. For books worth less than $40, don't get it graded unless it is a 9.8. You will be wasting your money otherwise. In fact, I can't think of any books in the New Mutants, Excaliber, Alpha Flight, Classic X-Men, X-Force, or X-Factor series that I would get graded regardless of what grade they are.

New Mutants 87, is good enough for me, but it HAS to 9.8

Plus, remember it's a *spoon* shoot. The ASM 300 comes back 9.8 good for you. 9.2 and it's valueless

I hate 893censored-thumb.gif like this. Do you even have a clue what "valueless" means, or are you just trying to scam another rube?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-3...1QQcmdZViewItem

Plus, remember it's a *spoon* shoot. The ASM 300 comes back 9.8 good for you. 9.2 and it's valueless even if you cna't tell the difference in the two books

foreheadslap.gif ASM #300 graded a 4.5 went for above a 100 bucks.

Just sold a raw VF, maybe VF+, for $75 and, in hindsight, I think I set the BIN too low. So yeah, getting that 9.2 slabbed is probably worth it, as JC's link demonstrates.

There are some books out there that have heated up into silly-land that were pooh poo'd until recently unless really high grade. Criminey, reader and mid-grade copies of FF 48 are going for over guide, I just sold 2 in the last week! Just sold a mid-grade Surfer 1 for over guide and a beat to heck Spotlight 5 for (well) over guide. I wish I had been stockpiling these books 2-4 years ago, I might have done better than the stock market and my real estate investments (which I've done extremely well on in the last 4 years), but, alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Obviously there's a lot of stuff that sits and continues to sit, but being "common" and not in high grade doesn't seem to be hurting some of them!

I guess the movie hype has kicked in - 6 mos. ago you'd be lucky to get 75% of guide for a lower grade FF48 (a book that had dropped in the OSPG in lower grade in the last few years).

I just checked ebay - blob is right, raw low grade copies are going for guide and above 893whatthe.gif