• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any chance this is an unidentified Ohio Pedigree TOS 52 ?

52 posts in this topic

Of course. If it's not a real Ohio, you wouldn't want it mislabeled as one either. thumbsup2.gif

I've got a slabbed Green River I purchased that I'm pretty sure isn't really a Green River......

detective346big.jpg

I am sure that's a Bethlehem. I have seen enough of them!

How can you tell?

Jim

Many early 1960s Bethlehems books had the "D" before the date stamp and many of the Bethlehems had cream pages. Search on Heritage for some Bethlehems and you will see the date stamp. 1950s books had a "B" in the date stamp and many of them have the "EJ Kerry" stamp on the back cover. The books came from that drugstore so many have the stamp on the Back.

It was a huge collection and over time many of the books have been sold without the knowledge they were from a known pedigree. I see a few on ebay from time to time. One ebay seller has some for sale right now. He has a nice Strange Tales 121, CGC graded as well. It's a Bethlehem but not noted on the label. It's a 9.0 so someone may want it...

Here is the link:

Linky

I expect a pedigree finders fee if any of you buy this book and resubmit it!

Many early 1960s books had the "D" before the date stamp and many of the Bethlehems had cream pages. Search on Heritage for some Bethlehems and you will see the date stamp. 1950s books had a "B" in the date stamp and many of them have the "EJ Kerry" stamp on the back cover. The books came from that drugstore so many have the stamp on the Back.

thumbsup2.gif You learn something everyday around here...

Jim

Many early 1960s books had the "D" before the date stamp and many of the Bethlehems had cream pages. Search on Heritage for some Bethlehems and you will see the date stamp. 1950s books had a "B" in the date stamp and many of them have the "EJ Kerry" stamp on the back cover. The books came from that drugstore so many have the stamp on the Back.

thumbsup2.gif You learn something everyday around here...

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I just learned something!

Nice catch nc

Ze-

That TTA 54 pictured earlier is mine, and i have the Sgt Fury 7 from the following month, but neither came out the same week.

Harley Yee had the DD #1 (at an outrageous price) about a year ago. Still raw. He had it as a F+ if I remember correctly. I would guess that its worth keeping an eye peeled for one of those popping up.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I can say that all the ToSs I have tend to hover around VF due to spine stress. So, you have the black grease pencil, the white pages, the grade one would usually expect the book to be in with the typical damage, the fact that it came out 7 days exactly after a book from the previous week, handwriting is at least close, and the date is exactly as you would expect it to be..."month - date"... If I was forced to place my bets on it, I'd say its an Ohio.

Years and years of buying and selling them helps a bit.

hail.gif

So does this mean I have to start collecting Beth's? foreheadslap.gif

BTW....here's another D-dated Bethlehem on Pedigree.....FF26.....

link

I'm skeptical (hey, that's what scientists have to be) for a couple of reasons. There are alotta books out there with date stamps on the front covers in grease pencil that aren't from the Ohio pedigree. Second, the "9" appears atypical when compared with others from known Ohio books.

I'd suggest you contact Nelson Dodds, who was the original marketer of the Ohio books.

That TTA 54 pictured earlier is mine, and i have the Sgt Fury 7 from the following month, but neither came out the same week.

Harley Yee had the DD #1 (at an outrageous price) about a year ago. Still raw. He had it as a F+ if I remember correctly. I would guess that its worth keeping an eye peeled for one of those popping up.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I can say that all the ToSs I have tend to hover around VF due to spine stress. So, you have the black grease pencil, the white pages, the grade one would usually expect the book to be in with the typical damage, the fact that it came out 7 days exactly after a book from the previous week, handwriting is at least close, and the date is exactly as you would expect it to be..."month - date"... If I was forced to place my bets on it, I'd say its an Ohio.

Look like my Pedigree database is coming in handy from time to time. shy.gif

1582254-Daredevil%231.jpg

589a91eb313a2_1582254-Daredevil1.jpg.775a16684ca50874f4a788cf422efd72.jpg