• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Action Comics only thread pre issue 30

149 posts in this topic

What's the significance of the "70" written on the cover? The same number is on Centaurman's copy of Action 17. Distributor code or did Larson write that on there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jon Berk's Action 20 Larson has a 70 written on the cover as well. I believe that the 70 signifies the number between 69 and 71. Pretty sure about that.

S

What's the significance of the "70" written on the cover? The same number is on Centaurman's copy of Action 17. Distributor code or did Larson write that on there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

October;

Steve's analysis of the numbers is certainly correct. 27_laughing.gif

On the other hand, these numbers also represent the distributor callback numbers for that particular title. In this case, the callback number for Action Comics is "70" and is one of the possible methods for identifying a Larson copy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Every title has its own callback number. For example, the callback number for Funny Pages is "71 and the callback number for Wonderworld Cmics is "75". I believe Jon Berk would know the most abouut these callback numbers. Hopefully, they'll be providing a summary of all of them in the upcoming Pedigree book 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Jon Berk's Action 20 Larson has a 70 written on the cover as well. I believe that the 70 signifies the number between 69 and 71. Pretty sure about that.

S

Wait, I'm lost. What does 69.8 signify then? confused.gif

October;

On the other hand, these numbers also represent the distributor callback numbers for that particular title. In this case, the callback number for Action Comics is "70" and is one of the possible methods for identifying a Larson copy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Every title has its own callback number. For example, the callback number for Funny Pages is "71 and the callback number for Wonderworld Cmics is "75". I believe Jon Berk would know the most abouut these callback numbers. Hopefully, they'll be providing a summary of all of them in the upcoming Pedigree book 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks for the insight.

S

Thanks. 893applaud-thumb.gif

October;

Actually the 'call back' numbers only appear on those books distributed by Publisher News and not Omaha News. Some Larsons have nothing on them....but it is clear this Action 13 is a Larson....when in doubt check page quality (always white....not sorta white) and maybe some foxing.....i have about 150 so have seen the spectrum of different "types"...jon

For instance here is Action 20 (thru the mylars)

1698558-action20.jpg

1698558-action20.jpg.5ae5d497a3fb0bb50b99a5ee9d819344.jpg

I'd mention on what an awesome copy of Action 32 that is, but this is the PRE Action 30 thread so I cannot.

Seriously, great book. thumbsup2.gif

Is the Larson 13 or 32 you've showed us going to be listed for sale anytime soon? popcorn.gif

I'd mention on what an awesome copy of Action 32 that is, but this is the PRE Action 30 thread so I cannot.

Seriously, great book. thumbsup2.gif

Is the Larson 13 or 32 you've showed us going to be listed for sale anytime soon? popcorn.gif

A little known fact that DC made a mistake in their numbering. #32 came out right after #29. Does that help?

S