• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics Grading

65 posts in this topic

Who can take a sunrise?

And grade it just for you.

Cover it in plastic

With a numeric grade or two

The CGG clan

CGC can

Cause they slab it up with love

And make the world look good

Who can take a rainbow?

Wrap it up real tight ?

Soak it in the sun

And make it sealed almost airtight?

The CGC clan

CGC can

The CGC clan

The CGC clan can

Cause everything they grade

Is a satisfying grade

Talk about your childhood wishes

They can even slab your dishes!

Who can take tomorrow

Dip it in a mylar?

Separate the sorrows

As we go collecting EVERYTHING

The CGC clan,

CGC can

The CGC clan can

And the world looks good

Cause CGC thinks it should

Cause CGC thinks

Cause the CGC clan , thinks it should be that waayy.

j/k Steve and co.

Am I still allowed to come to the Chicago dinner now?

flowerred.gif

(Sniff) Makes me think of Sammy....I take it your next 20 or so comics will be graded for free now (jk).... I can picture a comic book movie with Gene Wilder singing this... (Why not, they made a Nintendo movie called the Wizard that debuted the infamous "Glove" lol)

How can you put a grade on a comic? I ask you:

Can you grade a cloud? NO

Can you grade a sunset? NO

Of course not! Is a comic book any different?

S

WTF????? YES a comic book IS different! Someone's smokin' the La La... There are certainly PRICES set on comics...I can't remember the last time I saw a cloud or sunset FS on eBay...

I think that was an homage to Henry Smith, not a serious comment.

Dang, I thought it was a homage to Mango!

1579842-mango.jpg

1579842-mango.jpg.947324784c30c8a765cd416c1e23bc3c.jpg

The current grading 10 point grading scale was created by Metropolis and handed to Overstreet and CGC on a silver platter. As I write these words, I harken back to all the time I spent convincing Overstreet to scrap the 100 point scale because people simply did not use it and did not understand it. I presented the Metropolis grading system as a rational alternative.

It is the Metropolis grading scale. If CGC and Overstreet choose not to refer to it by that name, that is their choice. After all, it is a free country.

S

Isn't it pretty much the same scale, just divided by 10 (other than the 1 or 2 numerical grades that are in a different alpha-grade category)? confused-smiley-013.gif

For that matter, isn't it actually a 25 point scale?

Matt Nelson seems to think it's a 25 point scale.

http://www.gpanalysis.com/gpa_newsletter_vol5no1_22547.html#gpatopic_2

Yes, Matt does think it's a 25 point scale, but it's not - it's a 10 point scale that used to be a 100 point scale. screwy.gif

I guess I don't understand. If a scale that has 100 points is a "100 point scale" then how is a scale that has 25 points a "10 point scale"?

I believe Fisher originally developed the 100 point grading system and I think had suggested a 10 point scale later -- perhaps during CGC's development.

Before CGC I used to see VF++ and F++ all the time -- but of course -- I have no idea what that actually means... but those are grades they assign.

I created the current 10 point scale. Gary Carter and Bob Overstreet created the original 100 point scale about 15 years ago.

Stephen

Stephen;

Can you co-relate your current 10-point grading system with the old 41 or 42 point grading system that you use to have in place in the early 90's.

I still remember buying mostly 35's and 36's from you at the time. I was even lucky enough to pick up a 41 condition book from you once.