• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics Grading

65 posts in this topic

With all due respect, I view the 100-point scale as largely a marketing ploy. As in "we're so good at grading that a 10- or 25-point scale just isn't precise enough."

How many dealers' grades do you agree with on a 25-point scale? I'd say about 1 in 20 dealers' grades on a 25-point scale actually jibe with my own grade assessments.

What I'd prefer to see instead of a 100-point scale is a dealer who has an "8.8" and just lists it as an 8.5. Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise?

I think this board solves most of the nit picky gradiness problems - just post a big *spoon* scan, and either you like the price or don't. I see several in the FS thread where I don't agree with their grade assessments or prices. But, if I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, I look elsewhere.

Z = Mint+

This reminds me of the ebay seller who advertised his books to be "better then Mint!" foreheadslap.gif

Personally, I loved the 100-pt scale and used it quite a bit back in the day. I thought it made for a much more accurate scale, and I never had complaints from the people who bought from me.

I think what really needs to be done away with in this hobby is the "Very Fine/Near Mints" and other nonsense nomenclature. Its the biggest headache to those trying to learn how to grade. A think a 10 pt and even 100-pt scales are much more friendly to the new collector trying to get a handle on the whole grading thing.

The Very Goods and Fines and "VG/F+" designations are out of date, clumsy, and do nothing but appeal to old time collectors. Time to move on...

That's certainly a different sentiment than was found around here during the uproar when CGC dropped the alpha-grade from the label, but I agree with you - a numerical system makes much more sense.

Reminds me of an old officemate of mine who told me he had a 35-cent Star Wars #1, and when I asked him what condition it was in he said "It's in Great condition!" Well, he brought it in to the office and when I told him it was only "Very Good", he was like "See, told you so! yay.gif" foreheadslap.gif

How can you put a grade on a comic? I ask you:

Can you grade a cloud? NO

Can you grade a sunset? NO

Of course not! Is a comic book any different?

S

I might be able to grade a cloud based on it's fluffiness, it's density, how big it is, how much rain that cloud produces and how much cloud cover it effectively gives us.

S

how are rainbows made?hows a posi track in a plymouth work ?...hell i dunno,it just does!

sorry i was just reminded of joe dirt's dad..no offense to metro of course!

S

WTF????? YES a comic book IS different! Someone's smokin' the La La... There are certainly PRICES set on comics...I can't remember the last time I saw a cloud or sunset FS on eBay...

S

see, this is what i was talking about earlier.

corn.jpg

poke2.gif

S

WTF????? YES a comic book IS different! Someone's smokin' the La La... There are certainly PRICES set on comics...I can't remember the last time I saw a cloud or sunset FS on eBay...

You must have missed that CGC 9.6 Cirrus cloud that sold just the other day for $3500.

Part of the 4 Mile High Pedigree.

stooges.gif

I'm hoping that Metro's comment was tongue in cheek..b/c if we can't grade a comic, then there's no reason to pay much for them. Wow, I think I've come full circle on collecting.

Bah, lets forget about grades altogether. Just have CGC post the grading notes on the label without a numeric grade and let us figure out how much we are willing to pay for the book in front of us based on how it looks for the flaws it has.

Would remove all that "is it really a 9.6 or a 9.8 bs."

tongue.gif

Ze-

The ensuing chaos would be kinda fun.

smirk.gif

S

I think that was an homage to Henry Smith, not a serious comment.

Z = Mint+

My mom always told me I was "special". I will tell her I am not only special, but Mint+ also!

Ze-

You can call yourself "Mint+" or a "chocolate taco," but that don't change what you really are. yay.gifacclaim.gif

Z = Mint+

My mom always told me I was "special". I will tell her I am not only special, but Mint+ also!

Ze-

You can call yourself "Mint+" or a "chocolate taco," but that don't change what you really are. yay.gifacclaim.gif

I am telling my mom.

Expect a call soon. She will "convince" you.

893blahblah.gif

S

I think that was an homage to Henry Smith, not a serious comment.

My B-a-a-a-a-a-d! Couldn't resist!! lol

Who can take a sunrise?

And grade it just for you.

Cover it in plastic

With a numeric grade or two

The CGG clan

CGC can

Cause they slab it up with love

And make the world look good

Who can take a rainbow?

Wrap it up real tight ?

Soak it in the sun

And make it sealed almost airtight?

The CGC clan

CGC can

The CGC clan

The CGC clan can

Cause everything they grade

Is a satisfying grade

Talk about your childhood wishes

They can even slab your dishes!

Who can take tomorrow

Dip it in a mylar?

Separate the sorrows

As we go collecting EVERYTHING

The CGC clan,

CGC can

The CGC clan can

And the world looks good

Cause CGC thinks it should

Cause CGC thinks

Cause the CGC clan , thinks it should be that waayy.

j/k Steve and co.

Am I still allowed to come to the Chicago dinner now?

flowerred.gif