• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusted Staples

4 posts in this topic

Up to which grade is rusted staples allowed, assuming the rust has not spread to any of the pages nor the cover? Are they allowed in VF and in VF/NM and is there general consencus about this in the hobby? how does CGC grade rusted staples?

Sorry if this question has allready been asked but cannot trace it in the search functions.

Your valuable input is highly appreciated thumbsup2.gif

Up to which grade is rusted staples allowed, assuming the rust has not spread to any of the pages nor the cover? Are they allowed in VF and in VF/NM and is there general consencus about this in the hobby? how does CGC grade rusted staples?

Sorry if this question has allready been asked but cannot trace it in the search functions.

Generally, it depends on how rusted the staples are and whether the rust has migrated to the cover. I've seen books with very slight rust (meaning you don't notice the rust unless you look closely and there is just the slightest bit of it on the bottom of the staple near the cover, but not actually transferred onto the cover) get as high as 9.4. Badly rusted staples with tons of rust migration will get downgraded more harshly by CGC.

CGC's stance on staple rust is not consistent with what the Overstreet Grading Guide says. CGC tends to be more lenient toward light staple rust on high grade books, whereas OSGG does not allow any staple rust in the higher grades. That is something to watch out for.

Generally, it depends on how rusted the staples are and whether the rust has migrated to the cover. I've seen books with very slight rust (meaning you don't notice the rust unless you look closely and there is just the slightest bit of it on the bottom of the staple near the cover, but not actually transferred onto the cover) get as high as 9.4. Badly rusted staples with tons of rust migration will get downgraded more harshly by CGC.

CGC's stance on staple rust is not consistent with what the Overstreet Grading Guide says. CGC tends to be more lenient toward light staple rust on high grade books, whereas OSGG does not allow any staple rust in the higher grades. That is something to watch out for.

Exactly something to watch out for... the inconsistency between CGC and OS was what i suspected. Just to clarify, you mention OS doesnt allow staple rust at all in the higher grades, is that 9.2 - 8.0 or where does OS begin to mention slight staple rust is ok? i dont have their grading guide handy but if i remember it correctly very sligth rust (on an otherwise NM- book) is allowed in 8.0 but that is at high as it gets. If there is other minor flaws the book would be a 7.0-7.5 acc.to OS. Is that about right?

Thanks laugh.gif

there isn't a specific designation for "rusty staples" in the OGG, but "some discoloration allowed" on staples is allowed up to 9.4.

8.0 is the first grade where small amounts of rust migration are allowed, although i suspect that would be in the abscence of any other non-minor defect