• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Received a Cracked Slab in the Mail - Just need to vent

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Just need to vent a little. I just received a 7.0 Giant X-Men #1 in the mail I was so excited as I got it at a pretty decent price. The mail man came this morning and I headed out to the mail box and saw a bubble wrapped mailer in there. As soon as I saw that I was like this can't be good. I opened it up expecting to see a crack on the front or back much to by surprise I didn't see a crack. Later as I looked closer to inspect the book I heard a little noise. There was a cracked peg in the bottom of the case. I further inspected the case and discovered that the bottom left corner was cracked open. Now do you think it is possible for that bottom left corner to have gotten cracked in transit? I guess anything is possible but I would think the corner is the last place it would break. The description of the auction said that the CGC case was mint. I emailed the seller a little bit ago asking for a refund so hopefully I don't get any hassels. My initial thought was to maybe ask the seller to send me money to cover the cost of getting a Reholder but after thinking about it I really think it was tampered with based on the location of the crack. I don't know how anyone could ship a slab in a bubble wrap mailer especially a higher end book.

Sorry for the rant

A corner post popping loose is actually pretty common. Especially on older label CGC slabs

Anyhow, no need for regrading it as the inner well prevents any tampering. Not the outer shell. A popped post would have nothing to do with the grade of the book inside unless it somehow visibly harmed the inner well, or book inside.

Is the post still there or broken off, can you pop it back closed?

Depending on what you are going to do with the book I would keep it as is, unless it bothers you. The seller more then likely was not aware of this, and may or may not feel responsible for something for shipping in a manner so badly. How did he say he was going to ship it when you paid?

I always make sure I am clear with the seller how I want it shipped, becasue we all know if left unsaid.. many sellers cheap out.

Ze-

A corner post popping loose is actually pretty common. Especially on older label CGC slabs

Anyhow, no need for regrading it as the inner well prevents any tampering. Not the outer shell. A popped post would have nothing to do with the grade of the book inside unless it somehow visibly harmed the inner well, or book inside.

Is the post still there or broken off, can you pop it back closed?

Depending on what you are going to do with the book I would keep it as is, unless it bothers you. The seller more then likely was not aware of this, and may or may not feel responsible for something for shipping in a manner so badly. How did he say he was going to ship it when you paid?

I always make sure I am clear with the seller how I want it shipped, becasue we all know if left unsaid.. many sellers cheap out.

Ze-

Ze there is one problem with the older slabs though. It is a lot easier to switch labels if you so desire on one of those.

Yeah I know, remember I was the one who made thread after thread about how easy it might have been to swap labels. Either directly or indirectly soon after that CGC started welding parts of their label into the inner well. I was happy regardless and stopped calling Steve daily on the Batphone to *spoon* at him about their label floating around inside the top part of the well.

Without knowing if one or both bottom posts are popped it is impossible to tell wether or not it was tampered with. Or if the seams on the sides of the well were cut open, or just failed is important in trying to determine what was done to the book.Or if it was an old or new label. Add to that if the book inside the well appears to be a 7.0, or a ratty 4.0 in a 7.0 holder.

I doubt there was foul play here, I suggest he call CGC or just resub the book if he has serious concerns. Popped posts just happen sometimes.

Posting some pictures would be helpful if he can take photos of it.

juggle.gif

Ze-

The bottom left post is out and in side the slab but when I look at the bottom left corner it looks to be cracked at well. The bottom right corner is fine though. I have never cracked one open is it hard to slid a comic out from the one corner and put in a different one? Or is the comic some how held in place at the top? As far as how was shipping discussed, the seller charged $9 so I figured for $9 I would get the standard priority mail box and have the comic packed with bubble wrap or something of that nature. I know I shouldn't assume but so far every book I have sold has shipped like that and every book I received was sent in a priority mail box (or similar box) and wrappend in bubble wrap. I would never even fathom the thought or sending/receiving a book in a bubble mailer.

I'd ask for a complete refund and send back the book.Unless the seller has a sterling reputation,I wouldn't take a chance. Tell him if it is resubmitted and comes back the same grade,you'll complete the transaction.Thats too much money to play around with.On older slabs,not only was it not hard to switch labels,but often the well wasn't even sealed completely.