• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where is Mica?

37 posts in this topic

I spoke with him through PM's either on Thurday or Friday, so he's around!

We had an in-depth discussion this last week as well.

You must be thinkin' of the wrong dude . . . 27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

stooges.gif

Mica

"I've been without power all weekend. We've had an Ice-storm which knocked out all the power in my town and nearby towns. "

He is fine though and will be back when everything returns to normal

Well I'm back. But Frozen. Missouri got clobbered by a huge Ice storm Friday.

I haven't had power since (still don't). Since Friday I have been clearing off my roof, cutting up tree branches with my hatchet, and helping my neighbors get out of their driveways. tongue.gif

1587269-ice1.jpg

My family is/was and has been in our living room with a small propane heater.

With all other rooms closed up and blankets serving as makeshift doors to hallways we manage to keep the room at 57 degrees. Last night it was 7 outside.

Fortunately none of the stuff landing on my roof has punctured any holes that I could find. Surprisingly nothing landed on my old Dodge pickup. Plenty of stuff landed all around it. crazy.gif

1587282-ice2.jpg

Everything looks very gloomy. After I chopped up some frozen fallen limbs to get my wife's car out of the garage, we then checked on our neighbors.

1587295-ice3.jpg

By Saturday night we made it to the only Walmart that was open (There are 5 in town) and the place was swamped. No milk was left on the shelves.

No propane, No C or D batteries. But tons of people looking for ideas on how to get by.

We found a gas station that had power and there was a long line at it.

Whenever a place would open there would be a "run" on everything.

We checked on my parents who have gas heat, and combined some food products with them. Made it back to our house and had to stop along the way and clear a path all over again as more frozen limbs would fall.

You'd drive along and see limbs fall behind you where you had just driven. crazy.gif

1587310-ice4.jpg

I am exhausted from pretending to be Paul Bunyun and feeling so cold I can't move. I have scratches on my hands and don't remember getting them. frown.gif

I have enough gas tanks to last us a few more days, but my son doesn't understand why we just don't go out and get some electricity.

Sunday morning we made it to my work, and charged our cell phone and checked our E-mail.

I wrote Red Hook and asked if he could tape 24 for us. We do have a battery operated TV but our Fox affiliate was off the air.

I know that seems like a silly thing to be worried about, but we really needed a small feel-good thing at that moment.

Within a few minutes Brad responded that he would. (and we had "the_Brain" as a back-up plan). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1587340-ice5.jpg

This is my back yard. My son is not dealing with this very well at all.

I've let him go through some of my books with his flashlight to keep him occupied. He doesn't open them out of their bag but admires the covers.

Something tells me he'll be a future submitter around here in a few years smirk.gif

He has made the transistion from Roy Rogers to Monster covers. If it's big and tearing down buildings, he loves it. 27_laughing.gif

1587365-ice6.jpg

My daughter didn't go to school. It's just too cold to do anything. tongue.gif

She did have a Rented DVD that is now due back, but it's still in the player. foreheadslap.gif

1587375-ice7.jpg

And that's where we still are. Nothing has really changed.

I'm at work tonight. I would be home but I'm having to cover for a couple of employees that had surgery and are still recovering.

So major Kudos to Red_Hook and the_Brain for being there when my family needed a positive motivation....even though it was something simple as a TV show.

My wife's sister and what's turning out to be a small crowd are already making plans to be in my house in the near future when the power is on to watch this video tape that Brad is sending my way. yay.gif

Wow, looks like a frozen war zone! 893whatthe.giffrown.gif

Best of luck to you, man. I have been through a few of those ice storms myself. The last one was the last straw (5 years ago now), and I had an electrician wire up the whole house to run off a generator. Now I keep 3 5-gallon gas cans next to a 8500 watt generator, and roll it out and plug it in when needed.

Keep warm!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Wow, hope everything returns to normal soon and everyone remains safe and sound. I bought a little 3500 watt generator at cosco for 250.00 after we had a 17 hour blackout and the coldest it ever gets here is 16 degrees once evry 20 years, so if I lived where you guys live I'd do what drice did and have the whole panel wired for a larger generator. If I was building a new home I'd go with a NG generator wired up to the house. The climate here in N. california is pretty mild, but we've been having an unusually cold winter. Take care of yourselves.

I spoke with him through PM's either on Thurday or Friday, so he's around!
I forgot where we left off. But I still want the Hulk books. thumbsup2.gif

acclaim.gif

I'll give you time! They aren't going anywhere! Take care of that family!

Thanks, ............... wink.gif I've spent a lot of money on batteries and stuff.

Mica, sorry to see all the devastation but glad to see you're hanging tough. The best to you and your family. If you get back online and need any batteries ANYTHING shipped out overnight, let me know! I'm more than happy to help out and live right next door to a post office that's open late so it's NO problem.