• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can expect to pay for a late 60's Aquaman cover cover by Cardy?

22 posts in this topic

Anyone any ideas?

Also, what about a FF cover from about 150 to 175?

And a Action, Superman, Batman, Detective, Flash, and DC romance cover from about 1967 to 1971?

I know the content of the cover and the artist and if it, and if it is a twice up make a big difference, so here are a few examples.

Action 353 , 386 cover

Batman 199, 204 cover

Detective 383, 393, 401 cover

FF 165 cover

Flash 171, 186 cover

Aquamn 37, 45 cover

Young Romance 137

Young Love 77

I surely would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Joe Serpico

Anyone any ideas?

And a Action, Superman, Batman, Detective, Flash, and DC romance cover from about 1967 to 1971?

I know the content of the cover and the artist and if it, and if it is a twice up make a big difference, so here are a few examples.

Action 353 , 386 cover

Batman 199, 204 cover

FF 165 cover

Flash 171, 186 cover

Aquamn 37, 45 cover

Young Romance 137

Young Love 77

Thanks

Joe Serpico

Hey Joe

Heritage are in the process of auctioning-off an unpublished Cardy AQUAMAN cover for # 43. Next bid, at $3,585 (including buyer's premium), meets the reserve.

No idea where bidding will end, but the reserve price should give you an indication as to starting prices?

Anyone any ideas?

Action 353 , 386 cover

Batman 199, 204 cover

FF 165 cover

Flash 171, 186 cover

Aquamn 37, 45 cover

Young Romance 137

Young Love 77

Thanks

Joe Serpico

Hey Joe

Heritage are in the process of auctioning-off an unpublished Cardy AQUAMAN cover for # 43. Next bid, at $3,585 (including buyer's premium), meets the reserve.

No idea where bidding will end, but the reserve price should give you an indication as to starting prices?

Avoid unpublished covers. They are the kiss of death.

S

Why exactly are unpublished covers the kiss of death?

So far, I've only collected published work. Part of my reasoning is simple: I've seen some suspicious "covers" that never looked right -- no one was EVER gonna publish that cover, no matter what. But the Aquaman cover doesn't have that same fishy smell...pardon the pun. It seems legit.

i pretty sure on the caf boards they have a thing that premium members can used that can give you final ebay prices on certain comic pages and covers. it may give you an ideal on the price range your looking for on art your looking for. hopes this help you out some. thanks. larry

Anyone any ideas?

Action 353 , 386 cover

Batman 199, 204 cover

FF 165 cover

Flash 171, 186 cover

Aquamn 37, 45 cover

Young Romance 137

Young Love 77

Thanks

Joe Serpico

Hey Joe

S

I have several unpublished covers. I don't have a problem having examples of unpublished covers as I collect to please myself, not for the consideration of re-sale puposes.

Kiss of death? Please explain your thoughts, here.

So, if something like Ditko's unpublished cover to AMAZING ADULT FANTASY # 15 ever came up for auction, how many collectors would be taking your advice, I wonder? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone any ideas?

Action 353 , 386 cover

Batman 199, 204 cover

FF 165 cover

Flash 171, 186 cover

Aquamn 37, 45 cover

Young Romance 137

Young Love 77

Thanks

Joe Serpico

Hey Joe

S

I have several unpublished covers. I don't have a problem having examples of unpublished covers as I collect to please myself, not for the consideration of re-sale puposes.

Kiss of death? Please explain your thoughts, here.

So, if something like Ditko's unpublished cover to AMAZING ADULT FANTASY # 15 ever came up for auction, how many collectors would be taking your advice, I wonder? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On a certain level I like unpublished covers even more than published ones. At least the older ones. They are also one of a kind, usually by the same artist who did the published cover. And in some cases the image is as good as or even better than the one published. In some cases portions of the cover image were used on later covers. And in some the artist on the unpub was the more collectible artist fot that title or character (like the AF 15 cover unpub done by ditko; though no doubt the pub cover would go for more,I would expect the unpub to be worth a high percentage of the pub version) There's a great appeal to the published coiver because people remember it, but because it's usually not in full color it is not the final published image. Often there is no such thing, because the published cover image was assembled from original art (often containing stats) copied onto a plate and colored via several other plates. So even "published" covers are usually an incomplete rendering of the image that sparked the nostalgia. So nearly all original art covers -- whether prelim or unpublished or "published" are all essentially works in progress that led to the final cover image.

S

Unpublished Kirby FF cover, anyone?

Kiss of death??

34y42gw.jpg

takeit.gif

Since it's a valueless, unpublished kiss of death piece, I'd be a sport and offer $50 if it twas yours.

As per my earlier thread, I got this unpublished Pre-Code ACG Horror cover in recently. As far as I'm aware (checked against reliable sources), no published Pre-Code ACG Horror cover originals have ever surfaced. I'm more than happy not to have avoided buying this one - as it's one of a few known (unpublished) examples in collector circles.

30lp108.jpg

I think one of the big concerns is unpublished work has been counterfeit in the past. If you buy unpublished artwork, great care should be exercised to avoid getting ripped off. A while back, someone was doing this on Ebay with Kirby stuff which ended up being fake.

I think one of the big concerns is unpublished work has been counterfeit in the past. If you buy unpublished artwork, great care should be exercised to avoid getting ripped off. A while back, someone was doing this on Ebay with Kirby stuff which ended up being fake.

Wouldn't there also be a concern about published work being counterfeit too? I mean the published work gives you an "official" image to lightbox and create a counterfeit.

Wouldn't there also be a concern about published work being counterfeit too? I mean the published work gives you an "official" image to lightbox and create a counterfeit.

There always is, but unpublished pages are safer to fake since you don't have to worry whether the person that actually owns the page stepping forward and calling you out on it. A page can be created in the "Kirby" style and then advertised as unpublished. Same for Ditko for that matter. Sketches run the same risk.

There always is, but unpublished pages are safer to fake since you don't have to worry whether the person that actually owns the page stepping forward and calling you out on it.

Good point, but considering how much secrecy there is on the existence of some pages, and the murkiness of their history, what's to prevent the counterfeiter from claiming that HIS page is the genuine one?

The handful of unpublished covers I own came from reliable sources where provenance played a pivitol role. Certainly, I wouldn't buy unpublished art where niggling doubts existed.

Yes, exercising caution is the order of the day. That should go without saying.

The handful of unpublished covers I own came from reliable sources where provenance played a pivitol role. Certainly, I wouldn't buy unpublished art where niggling doubts existed.

Yes, exercising caution is the order of the day. That should go without saying.

For example, unpublished cover art to PULSE # 2.

Provenance?

Bought directly from the artist, Mike Mayhew.

3zm5k7k.jpg

The real problem, here, is not the artwork (be it published or unpublished). The problem is the criminal-types who want to counterfeit the art.

That's why provenance is of major importance, along with a reputable source for the art you can go back to - if necessary. A reputable dealer or esteemed collector will not want to risk his reputation on dealing in artwork of questionable authenticity.

George Hagenauer has written a fascinating article, over on CAF Forums (ART YOU CAN read section) regarding the, "Major 1980s Comic Art Forgery Case".

Well worth a read.