• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can expect to pay for a late 60's Aquaman cover cover by Cardy?

22 posts in this topic

I think one of the big concerns is unpublished work has been counterfeit in the past. If you buy unpublished artwork, great care should be exercised to avoid getting ripped off. A while back, someone was doing this on Ebay with Kirby stuff which ended up being fake.

Wouldn't there also be a concern about published work being counterfeit too? I mean the published work gives you an "official" image to lightbox and create a counterfeit.

The real problem, here, is not the artwork (be it published or unpublished). The problem is the criminal-types who want to counterfeit the art.

That's why provenance is of major importance, along with a reputable source for the art you can go back to - if necessary. A reputable dealer or esteemed collector will not want to risk his reputation on dealing in artwork of questionable authenticity.

George Hagenauer has written a fascinating article, over on CAF Forums (ART YOU CAN read section) regarding the, "Major 1980s Comic Art Forgery Case".

Well worth a read.

Very interesting read! Here is the link.

Forgery

2vbu68k.jpg

Oh those beautiful X-Men pieces! I would gladly add either/both to my collection. Unpublished art may take a hit when time to sell, but that works when you buy too. And of course classic stuff that looks "right" is never a mistake - at the right price.