• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a SCOOP!

52 posts in this topic

I think the answer is obvious - a graded price guide, and a raw price guide. And in reality, the graded price guide should be an average of documented graded sales. Between comicsheets data, Heritage, GPA, etc.,. there should be sufficient information available for gold, silver, and key bronze. That could be the extent of the graded price guide, with the raw OS picking up the remnants.

I'd like to see CGC's first hand announcement of their official adoption of the OS grading guide standards...it's pretty important that they explicitly state that CGC IS NOT CHANGING THE STANDARD THEY'VE ALWAY USED!?!? Steve?

When I read this, I wasn't sure what to make of it. So CGC was making up their own standard to begin with? CGC has been stricter than Overstreet no doubt about it. I don't know how anyone can really argue that. If anything I think Overstreet moved closer to CGC's grading standard and became more strict. I don't think will change anything except having some grading guidelines like in the new grading guide instead of everyone wondering how CGC grades.

Will there be grade deductions for miswraps, etc.? Maybe CGC can start using 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 and 9.7 to reflect the "eye appeal" of a book. I think a perfectly centered copy should get "extra points". smirk.gif

Hmmm... you're probably right, but...

Won't that be kind of odd? A slabbed CGC 9.4 will now presumably be an actual, unrestored Overstreet 9.4 specimen (in CGC's opinion, of course). So raw comics would perhaps be considered to sell at a discount to the "actual 9.4" price to reflect uncertainty about the seller's grading, restoration disclosure, etc. But that uncertainty discount would vary wildly depending upon whether it is a face-to-face transaction, an eBay sale, a trusted dealer, etc. etc.

Probably two price guides does makes sense for the hobby from Overstreet's point of view: Let the slabbed guide reflect current market realities, and if the much-discussed graded-comics cr*** does eventually occur, then the mainstream price guide (soon to be the "Raw Guide") is protected, and long-time collectors' perception of their pre-CGC collections' value is somewhat maintained.

Still, if I had my way, I'd let the current Overstreet annual book accurately reflect actual prices realized (slabbed or not) up to the current 9.4 grade, and then let the new slabbed price guide go nuts specifically on 9.6, 9.8 and above.

But that's just me.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but I thought that this was the way the graded coins and card "price guides" evolved after 3rd party grading was introduced. Can anyone elaborate? Bueller...Bueller??

I just PM'd Steve to discuss this and here was the reply. I'm not sure what the announcement really meant, nor have I spoke to him yet, but I get the feeling from that short reply that the grading standard is not changing. It didn't make sense anyway.

There is NO NEW GRADING STANDARD 893frustrated.gif . You can quote me on that. Call you later............

so is MINT 10 going to be "gem mint" or "pristine mint"? confused.gif and do i need to remind you that this is what chuck roznaski wanted last year in his "tales from the database" articles in CBG last year. 893whatthe.gif

so is MINT 10 going to be "gem mint" or "pristine mint"? confused.gif and do i need to remind you that this is what chuck roznaski wanted last year in his "tales from the database" articles in CBG last year. 893whatthe.gif

Hmmmmm... maybe that's what they were talking about... some minor terminolgy and other "non-grading standard" cohesiveness... we'll know soon.

It's gonna be Gem Mint, they announced that way back before the new Overstreet Grading Guide came out. I think they're waiting to put their new label in place before they start putting it on books, which by the way I recall was supposed to be unveiled starting during or after the San Diego con that just ended... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mark told me that CGC will be rolling out the new labels right about this time, basically it will have more lines for description. The CGC grade wil be much larger also.

I am due for some books, curious to see if they have the new label.

Do you think people will re-slab their books for the new label?

"I refer to the guide's uncredited text as the narrative "Overstreet" opinion because I assume it's now somebody at Gemstone and not Bob Overstreet who writes the guides now; Gemstone owns a trademark on the name "Overstreet" so I guess it's legally kosher for them to write under his name without the writing actually having been done by the man."

Well, with the Grading Guide, there *is* another name on the cover, you know. And since Bob is still here and still a part of Gemstone as ever, there's hardly any "legal" concerns about using his name or any question as to his participation smile.gif.

Arnold

What was Bob's contribution to the latest grading guide? Every article in there except one has somebody else's name on it, and the one that doesn't have any name on it--the one describing how to grade that directly precedes the photgraphic examples--you've taken credit for writing several times in these forums. That leaves only the photographic examples as possibly having been contributed by Bob. My guess was that you and he verbally discussed that one uncredited article and then you wrote it down; is that right? Or did he organize the photos? Perhaps he came up with the tables overviewing defect severities allowed for the defect categories for the various grades?

I hope you don't take offense to the questions, but once I noticed that Gemstone had a trademark on the name Overstreet and that the only content I've seen in the price/grading guides with his name on it is the introduction to the market reports, I began wondering whether he was mostly retired and you guys were just still using his name.

I actually count seven articles in the book without anyone's name on it, from the discussion on the evolution of grading to the various "Quest for Perfection" pieces to the analysis of how to use the book etc. That seems like plenty of material to me, not counting contributions by outside parties, and the Guides have *always* featured contributions from those other than Bob and the Gemstone crew. Our Guides are a collaborative effort in many ways, from data gathering to the actual editorial content.

And since Bob is still at work every day and sitting right down the hall from me, I've never understood this whole idea that somehow he's been locked in a closet while "we" at Gemstone "use" his name. Weird.

But no offense taken, feel free to keep asking away. smile.gif

Arnold