• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas Horror thread.....

142 posts in this topic

is there one ? Im really starting to dig the Atlas Horror books. Ive now just got my first one and I while the stories are marginal the covers are awesome second only to EC imho. Anyway hope you guys can post some of your Atlas books ! Here is my favorite Atlas cover that I finally scored off of James Payette, the pages are as good as Ive seen in a GA book just white WHITE WHITE ! cloud9.gif

-

ast15.jpg

Thanks, I laugh every time I look at it.

Here's another Everett.

AdvIntoTerror19.jpg

That Adventures Into Terror 19 cover is probably by Sol Brodsky; it's definitely not Everett. But, so long as we're talking "Everett"....

mt111.jpg

You know this must be a fantastic book, when "A Martian in the Kitchen" doesn't even get top billing!

That Adventures Into Terror 19 cover is probably by Sol Brodsky; it's definitely not Everett. But, so long as we're talking "Everett"....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Gotta respect your ability recognize the Atlas artists cuz you've corrected me before.

I don't see anything that clearly eliminates Everett and I don't recall too much of Brodsky that is that quality. Everett & Brodsky to collaborate on at least one Atlas horror cover so are there any clues against Everett and for Brodsky?

mt111.jpg

You know this must be a fantastic book, when "A Martian in the Kitchen" doesn't even get top billing!

talk about the energizer bunny--look over to the right; all the soft tissue of the heads has decomposed down to the skulls, but their miner's hardhat lights are still illuminated!!!! gotta love it.

here's a little complete horror run, not easy to get and very cool.

This is an often over-looked set but despite the title they're all horror books. Nice seeing them all together! thumbsup2.gif

On most Atlas covers with a triptych on the left of the cover, the 3 panels are by the same artist who did the cover illustration. The skull at the top of the triptych could never be an Everett skull, nor could the girl in the bottom panel be an Everett girl. I will grant you the the main cover image is probably too good to be Brodsky; how about Sam Kweskin?

Formulaic, but generally fun. As with other Atlas titles, gems occasionally flame forth. The art can be exceptional; Everett, Heath and Maneely are mainstays. Wolverton, Fox and Woromay are far less frequently found, but their eye-popping works are well worth the search.

Adam: Regarding the AIT 19: I cannot recall Everett ever portraying a Skull with a full head of hair, JIUW 13 being an exception of sorts.

JIUW13.jpg

Adam: Regarding the AIT 19: I cannot recall Everett ever portraying a Skull with a full head of hair, JIUW 13 being an exception of sorts.

I like the JIUW 13 but take some time to think about the AIT. I've had a lot of time to look at the book and I just don't see anything that Everett couldn't have done. It's got the wood grain, peeling/mossy paint at the top, spider webs, lush folds to the dress and it's spectacular in person (I actually was specifically NOT looking for it until I saw this copy).

Bill Everett -- I was going to comment that this was fast turning into an Everett Atlas horror thread -- which could go on for quite some time.