• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good article on stolen Steranko art

28 posts in this topic

Sounds like Steranko is assuming the art is stolen and really has no basis for that assumption.

He donated the art to a collector who donated it to a university that now wants cash more than the art. The fact that he doesn't know about a sale by the university doesn't mean that the current owner stole it.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a problem other than a blow to Steranko's ego.

Sounds like Steranko is assuming the art is stolen and really has no basis for that assumption.

He donated the art to a collector who donated it to a university that now wants cash more than the art. The fact that he doesn't know about a sale by the university doesn't mean that the current owner stole it.

"Essentially, they had promised Harry a magnificent legacy, then blew it out for cash. Their actions were a clear violation of Harry's intent. Likewise, I did NOT give Harry and the school the FOOM Poster original to sell or give away. " . . .STERANKO

I can see why Steranko is pissed. If, as a collector, I was asked to donate artwork from my collection for the purpose of sharing with others - only to find the art had later been used to make a financial gain for the trustees . . . yeah, I'd be more than a little pissed myself.

FDU is a disgrace. While it is not uncommon for museums and universities to divest themselves of art pieces, but the money is usually used to fund purchases of other similar objects to build the collection. It's disgusting that FDU never did anything with the collection.

I hope that the owner is outed and pressured to return the artwork and if that doesn't work, faces legal action.

"Essentially, they had promised Harry a magnificent legacy, then blew it out for cash. Their actions were a clear violation of Harry's intent. Likewise, I did NOT give Harry and the school the FOOM Poster original to sell or give away. " . . .STERANKO

I can see why Steranko is pissed. If, as a collector, I was asked to donate artwork from my collection for the purpose of sharing with others - only to find the art had later been used to make a financial gain for the trustees . . . yeah, I'd be more than a little pissed myself.

I agree that what FD did is classless, but it's a bit presumptuous to basically label the current owner a thief based on the information presented.

And why does Steranko suggest that the current owner should return the piece to FD at the end of the letter? Seems like there must be more to the story, otherwise I would think he'd want that art as far from FD as possible.

i agree with solar. i think there more to this story. i like to hear from the person that has the cover his side of the story before iam ready to pass judgement. as for what i have read, the only bad guy so far is fdu. and that,s who steranko really should have the beef with.

larry ;]

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a problem other than a blow to Steranko's ego.

The art is stolen. I know. I know the person who currently has the art. I have spoken to FDU. I have spoken to Steranko. The "owner" has changed his story multiple times.

S

The art is stolen. I know. I know the person who current has the art. I have spoken to FDU. I have spoken to Steranko. The "owner" has changed his story multiple times.

S

That's all I needed to hear. If the University agrees that it's stolen, I'm sure it's stolen.

The art is stolen. I know. I know the person who current has the art. I have spoken to FDU. I have spoken to Steranko. The "owner" has changed his story multiple times.

S

That's all I needed to hear. If the University agrees that it's stolen, I'm sure it's stolen.

spoken to FDU and confirming it's stolen by FDU are two different things. There would be charges filed.

I'm not disputing it was stolen, but generally if it's a theft and people know who did it, then that person gets picked up and the merchandise returned.