• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Ebay auction is pretty funny

26 posts in this topic

Here's the auction description for posterity in case it disappears:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-1-ALMOST-PE...1QQcmdZViewItem

SUPERMAN #1 - ALMOST PERFECT MINT 10 - NO RESERVE!

I have a Superman #1 that is almost a perfect mint! I got this at an auction estate sale. Or was it from a local garage sale? I can't remember now. Oh yeah, I remember - it was from my grandmother's basement and it was my grandfather's original copy that he bought from Joe and Jerry when he was up at the DC offices visiting Bob Kane in 1939. I think it's autographed by all three creators also. My grandmother told me that "Pop" got this CGC graded back before he passed on in 1990. It got a blue label grade of 10, but in the last few years in moving, the CGC case and label got lost, so I can't give you the seriel number, but I'm sure if you call CGC and ask them, they would know.

Like I said, this book is just about Mint! I have it in my hands right now as I type this. My scanner isn't working right now, and I wanted to get a digital camera for Christmas, but that deal fell through, so I can't show you this copy. I will get you a bigger scan next month I promise.

The only real problems with this copy besides that the cover is missing, and maybe the centerfold is too, I'm not sure because I'm not a professional comic grader. But I can count, and this baby has 47 pages so I'm pretty sure it is complete. Anyway, there is a lot of writting on this 1st page - I can't make it out - looks like a hangman game and some tick-tac-toe games, by my grandma says it's just the way Joe, Jerry, and Bob signed their names back then. One of the pages has some panels cut out. And sure, the centerfold is loose, but what do you expect from a 75 year old comic! And someone drew a beard on Superman in just about every panel. And I must say he looks pretty good in it actually! About ten pages might have a slight water stain on them. Could be cat pee, as it smells real bad. There is some masking tape on some interior pages, the book has been restapled, and there are 3 holes punched on the spine area. Now other than these things, the book looks Mint to me. Let's call it Near Mint to Mint to be safe. Again, I am not a professional comic book grader, I sell used car parts for a living, but this copy sure looks Mint to me, considering the fact that it's old!

I know my opening bid is high, but this is a once in a life-time chance to get this almost mint copy, and I will consider any reasonable offer you may have. Please note that this is a cash only auction. I will NOT accept paypal or any other form of payment except for the green stuff!

This auction has be presented by Amazing Comics/AmazingCo.com - a ebay seller for almost nine years and a retail comic shop owner for over twenty two years at the same location. It is my way of saying that if you sell comic books on ebay, either grade them RIGHT or show me a large enough scan so that I can deciede for my self. This in no way is making fun of the used car parts profession - only of ebay comic sellers - both older and newer who are just not getting it right. Thanks! Bob Nastasi, Amazing Comics/AmazingCo.com, 12 Gillette Avenue, Sayville, NY 11782, (631) 567-8069

Very good - some of the responses are just as funny as the original ad!

STEVE

The question by the potential "buyer", asking if the seller would rip the book in half so that he and his friend can own a piece (and they are paying separately btw), got me laughing pretty hard. Then the sellers response about ripping it up into thirds made tears come out of my eyes. A well done parody. thumbsup2.gif

Q: I'd bid, but since this is over $200, no one will see my name while I'm bidding and I'll lose all the fun of having my friends cheer me on...;) and I worry about shills..;) and 2nd chance offers...;) and... What was I talking about?

Jan-18-07

A: I have THREE copies, but this is the only 10. The other two I think add up to ten. I'll give you a third chance offer on those when this one sells. It's 2 AM now so I gotta go. Thanks for reading. And remember - CASH only!

27_laughing.gif