• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got this in last week.........

13 posts in this topic

That is a nice piece. I love sean Phillips work. I would love a Hellblazer cover or a real nice Zombies page but his Rep has them a slight bit over priced in my opinion. So I will wait alittle while.

Did you see the Army of Darkness 13 cover on his site (1st zombie Ash from the upcoming Marvel Zombies x-over)? Kinda cool.

Wow, that's really nice. And probably the only medium I would buy a Sean Phillips piece. Most of his interior pages are blue lined with blue sharpie and then black lined with black sharpie. <yuck!>

That is a nice piece. I love sean Phillips work. I would love a Hellblazer cover or a real nice Zombies page but his Rep has them a slight bit over priced in my opinion. So I will wait alittle while.

I don't know about the Hellblazer covers, but the Marvel Zombies pages seem to be selling just fine priced where they are. Most of the choice pages are already gone ...

Wow, that's really nice. And probably the only medium I would buy a Sean Phillips piece. Most of his interior pages are blue lined with blue sharpie and then black lined with black sharpie. <yuck!>

(Actually, I think the blue line is from a computer printer. I think. And the page is mostly finished off with inks – maybe a sharpie for the outlines, I can't tell. Or at least mine is?)

But I'll agree, it's a bit distracting. But the way I see it, you're just buying a piece of the creative process. Sure it would be nice to have one with no blue lines, or isn't brown from the spray adhesive they used, or didn't have it's corners cut off ... but in the end they are one of a kind pieces. So if you really like that story and really like that page, you can overlook the little things.

Usually. grin.gif

But back to the cover – it really does rock. headbang.gif

(Actually, I think the blue line is from a computer printer. I think. And the page is mostly finished off with inks – maybe a sharpie for the outlines, I can't tell. Or at least mine is?)

But I'll agree, it's a bit distracting. But the way I see it, you're just buying a piece of the creative process. Sure it would be nice to have one with no blue lines, or isn't brown from the spray adhesive they used, or didn't have it's corners cut off ... but in the end they are one of a kind pieces. So if you really like that story and really like that page, you can overlook the little things.

There are some exceptions but the vast majority of them are 100% Sharpie. I've been at Mark Hay's house when a FedEx box full of pages has arrived. The first thing you notice is the stench of Sharpie -- some have even bled thru to the page in front of them. The problem with his pages is the prices they bring. I don't want to shell out $500 - $1000 on a page that will turn every color in the spectrum before finally settling on a nasty yellow-brown in about 5 years. I know Mark has mentioned to him that this hurts the sale price. He might be able to get 50% - 100% more for some pieces if this weren't the case (heavy blues and Sharpie).

There are some exceptions but the vast majority of them are 100% Sharpie. I've been at Mark Hay's house when a FedEx box full of pages has arrived. The first thing you notice is the stench of Sharpie -- some have even bled thru to the page in front of them. The problem with his pages is the prices they bring. I don't want to shell out $500 - $1000 on a page that will turn every color in the spectrum before finally settling on a nasty yellow-brown in about 5 years. I know Mark has mentioned to him that this hurts the sale price. He might be able to get 50% - 100% more for some pieces if this weren't the case (heavy blues and Sharpie).

For what it's worth, I've got a page from the last issue:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=160568&GSub=25414

There's no Sharpie on this page. I've had art done with Sharpie before and there are none of the tell-tale signs on this one. If you look closely, there are some feathering effects that could only be done with a brush. My understanding is that, in the past, Sharpie was used to do some of the nitty-gritty work (like filling in blacks) when the inker was in a time crunch.

But since it's been brought up, I e-mailed Sean Phillips directly about it. He confirmed that there was no Sharpie used on my page and that not all MZ pages had Sharpie on them.

For what it's worth, I've got a page from the last issue:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=160568&GSub=25414

There's no Sharpie on this page. I've had art done with Sharpie before and there are none of the tell-tale signs on this one. If you look closely, there are some feathering effects that could only be done with a brush. My understanding is that, in the past, Sharpie was used to do some of the nitty-gritty work (like filling in blacks) when the inker was in a time crunch.

But since it's been brought up, I e-mailed Sean Phillips directly about it. He confirmed that there was no Sharpie used on my page and that not all MZ pages had Sharpie on them.

Mine is the same. When you look at the solid blacks you can tell it's been inked with a brush. I suppose the black outlines could have been done with a sharpie – but it doesn't smell (or look) like it.

Maybe we're just lucky. grin.gif