• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Church books on Metropolis

39 posts in this topic

I was joking. I know what he meant!

His Sarcasim is understood. My point is that it can be easy to under estimate the costs in slabbing church books.

why are you speaking to me, adressing me in third person? grin.gif im not royal

Did I mix up my buddies ?

Mad dog, you have knowledge to contribute. I certainly consider you an equal. Maybe even better.I hope so.Theres much I can learn im sure.

hi.gif no you didnt mix up... i just got a little confused since you replied to my posting, commenting my posting but writing "he" instead of "you" as if you were replying to someone else talking ABOUT me rather than to me... i will take another beer tongue.gif

Mad dog, you have knowledge to contribute. I certainly consider you an equal. Maybe even better.I hope so.Theres much I can learn im sure.

hi.gif no you didnt mix up... i just got a little confused since you replied to my posting, commenting my posting but writing "he" instead of "you" as if you were replying to someone else talking ABOUT me rather than to me... i will take another beer tongue.gif

that is just "action1kid-speak". We are all adept at translating, you will too. he is one of our most valued members, we love him, just took a while to learn the language! grin.gifwink.gif

Well that certainly straigtened things out.

Now I want you to extend both arms , close your eyes and try to touch your nose.

that is just "action1kid-speak". We are all adept at translating, you will too. he is one of our most valued members, we love him, just took a while to learn the language! grin.gifwink.gif

grin.gif I see ... i often type so fast i make loads of mistakes too... i am just not detailed orientated enough to bother fixing it if i sense the message came across. tongue.gif makes me sound ignorant at times which my friend JC has pointed out on a couple of occasions 27_laughing.gif

Well that certainly straigtened things out.

Now I want you to extend both arms , close your eyes and try to touch your nose.

Where is the "i poked myself in the eye" Graemlin when you need it confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess being a cpa and a 20 year veteran of Enron, the FMV basis of CGC's pricing structure has always raised a question of business ethics to me. If I interpret it right, they can charge a higher fee, the higher the grade they assign to a book. In other words, there is a financial motivation on the part of the "impartial" grading service. The better the grade, the more money they can charge.

If the price was $50/book, no matter the fmv, then there would be no reason to overgrade, or show favoritism to pedigrees.

I am not saying that they do these things, but in the business world, everything is based as much on "appearances" as it is on fact.

I guess being a cpa and a 20 year veteran of Enron, the FMV basis of CGC's pricing structure has always raised a question of business ethics to me. If I interpret it right, they can charge a higher fee, the higher the grade they assign to a book. In other words, there is a financial motivation on the part of the "impartial" grading service. The better the grade, the more money they can charge.

If the price was $50/book, no matter the fmv, then there would be no reason to overgrade, or show favoritism to pedigrees.

I am not saying that they do these things, but in the business world, everything is based as much on "appearances" as it is on fact.

ENRON sorry.gif

There are evidently enough collectors that can buy them without the slab that it is not worth the time and cost for them to send them to CGC. They have many long-time customers who were buying Church copies before CGC was around and who don't necessarily feel the need for the additional confirmation.

If that's the case, then why does Metro slab ANY of their GA books?

The context of my quote was that it was answering the question of why the unslabbed books were on Metro's site.

Metro has submitted lots of books to CGC, not submitted books to CGC, purchased CGC'd Church copies, and de-slabbed Church copies so it would seem to follow that they make a case by case determination regarding whether to sell a book slabbed or raw.

If I interpret it right, they can charge a higher fee, the higher the grade they assign to a book. In other words, there is a financial motivation on the part of the "impartial" grading service. The better the grade, the more money they can charge.

This is not really correct. The way you make it sound, CGC gets to charge you X if they grade a book a 6.0 and X+Y if they grade it as a 7.0 and X+Y+Z if they grade it as a 8.0, and so on. That's not exactly how it works. Their fees are based on several very broad FMV bands, and in some cases a book grading out as a 8.0 as opposed to a 6.0 will put it up into a higher FMV band. On the other hand, lots of books will result in the same grading fee no matter what their grade.

I find it really hard to believe that the incremental grading fee is going to cause them to overgrade the 6.0 book into a 8.0.

Hi

Not true. Most of the Church books are not slabbed, and by far and away too!

Even the mega Mile high keys very few are slabbed.Only the Flash 1 and Cap1, All Star 3, More Fun 52 and Adventure 40 come to mind. The Action1, Superman 1, Bat 1, Wiz 1, All American 16, Marvel 1, Detective 38, Detective 1, are all Nope, Nope , Nope and much more.

I thought the Superman 1 Mile high was the 8.0 on the census?

I have one Church book... a Target Comics. And, it came with a xerox of the cover signed by Chuck and I think Gerber (Haven't looked at it in a long time). I know it's the copy shown in the PhotoJournal. How many of the Mile Highs have you guys seen with this sort of documentation? Does it add much of a premium in your opinion? I've never seen another such combo for sale? I can't wait to get a book that requires a 1,000 grading fee! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have one Church book... a Target Comics. And, it came with a xerox of the cover signed by Chuck and I think Gerber (Haven't looked at it in a long time). I know it's the copy shown in the PhotoJournal. How many of the Mile Highs have you guys seen with this sort of documentation? Does it add much of a premium in your opinion? I've never seen another such combo for sale? I can't wait to get a book that requires a 1,000 grading fee! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i have several that way with that documentation that came from ernie (and i think mark w) when ernie was liquadating these books to pay for the production of the Gerber Guides....

For the record- none of my 200 chuch books are slabbed (or any others for that matter)....jb

i have several that way with that documentation that came from ernie (and i think mark w) when ernie was liquadating these books to pay for the production of the Gerber Guides....

For the record- none of my 200 chuch books are slabbed (or any others for that matter)....jb

893applaud-thumb.gif