• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980s cover appreciation thread

196 posts in this topic

Yup, as you guessed that's cover made from a Wolverton panel. You have to remember that Wolverton did very few covers so this is not the first time this has been done. As I recall, the Spacehawk reprint series from the 80s used the same technique.

Now, the original 1950s book with the Eye of Doom story (escapes me just now as to which Atlas it was) is a valuable book, but imagine the price tag if it had a cover similar to the one I've posted - I bet it would be worth triple!!! 893whatthe.gif

Thanks Z, that's a good one. There are lots of overlooked 80s covers - it just isn't cool to admit it yet smile.gif

Cheers and thanks for the great WW cover!

Dan

I've been extolling the virtues of 80's books since the first day I was here! Oh... that's probably why they aren't cool... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And come on, Crisis 7 is one of the greatest covers of all time! And all of those WW Perez covers are SUH-WEET! Hell, for that matter, ANY of the Perez runs (TT, WW, et al) are fantastic, and I must confess a slight affinity for the Great Giordano... ooo and the JLI covers were always so much danged fun! Ah, modern DCs... nothing finer.

For the Ploog fans and just because it's one of the most overlooked covers of the 1980s (how can you beat those colors??):

Lone Wolf 40:

lonewolf40.jpg

For the Ploog fans ..........Lone Wolf 40

893whatthe.gif I had no idea that Ploog did a cover for Lone Wolf and Cub. Is that the only one or did he do others for that series?

Thanks for sharing, its a very sweet cover.

Yeah, that Alien Worlds cover is nice, and the cover babe is wearing today's fashions twenty years early (sisqo voice: "let me see that thooooong")!

Nice cityscape on the Jezebel Jade

As for Ploog covers on Lone Wolf, he did all the covers from 38-44. Or was it 37-44? I'll have to check at home, or check your overstreet, I think it is listed. I can post more if you like. I think 43 and 44 were collobarations with Pat Boyette. #39 is a very cool triple sized issue near the end of the run.

There's a lot of great 80s material out there if you look. Best believe! sumo.gif And not all of it is common, either...

Dan

Lantern,

Here are the LW's you requested:

lonewolf43.jpg

lonewolf42.jpg

lonewolf41.jpg

lonewolf39.jpg

lonewolf38.jpg

lonewolf37.jpg

44: Last one - part Ploog (Ploog/Boyette ):

lonewolf44.jpg

Last ones for tonight:

The "other" Planet No. 1

planet.jpg

Mr Monster Super Duper Special 8 - OK, so this one is more 1950's than 1980's -- who cares!! Any excuse to include it 893applaud-thumb.gif

mmsp8.jpg

Sheena 3D

sheena.jpg

Really, you like that FF349 that much? Too lazy to make your own scans, huh? insane.gif

lol. I didn't realize until after I posted it that it had the writing at the bottom. (I don't have my own scanner) frown.gif

And yep, that is one of my favorite covers of all time. I love Art Adams, and actually got his signature, as well as Berni Wrightson's sig and Neal Adams' sig at the con! smile.gif

Sweet! Odin told me he met Don Rosa, I would have loved to do that. Since we are entertaining ourselves, here are the last three(really) for tonight. Tomorrow, I start posting Marvels for all the Marvel Zombie fokkers!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Wrightson, Corben, Schultz:

twisted2.jpg

tmnt33.jpg

xenozoic9.jpg

Ah yes. I remember that series coming out. Was going to buy them until I found out Schultz only did the covers! mad.gif

Nitey Nite.