• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Ads for Original Art

12 posts in this topic

While cleaning up my garage, I found a few old catalogs. I was a little surprised when I looked a Showcase New Englands art offering from their 2000 catalog. I remember thinking back then that it was expensive, but it is interesting to compare them to todays prices given some sell for less seven years later. I didn't scan all pages but a few select ones.

art1_s.jpg

art2_s.jpg

art3_s.jpg

art4_s.jpg

I have that catalog, also.

For myself, I was really gutted (at the time) to see the Ditko CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 (mistakingly listed as # 90) up for grabs at $11,000. Gutted in the sense, this was grail-like territory for me, but the price-tag was way beyond my means (see middle picture on page 6 of the catalog, reproduced below). hail.gif

Fast-forward a few years, Ken Danker (Monster's Collectibles) had acquired the Ditko cover along the way, and he worked out a trade deal with me. cloud9.gif

2i7wsnt.jpg

Here's a real blast from the past . . .

The very first Art Auction I participated in, for EC artwork, way back in September 1982.

I came away with item # 13, the Feldstein 8-pager, for $484.

At the time, I penciled-in the prices realised against each item.

2cqln4y.jpg

2nh1180.jpg

Here's the cover to Russ Cochran's Comic Art Auction # 23, from Decemeber 1985.

The Frazetta NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S movie poster artwork measured 28" x 38", and carried a minimum bid of $10,000. Surprisingly, the art didn't sell. Certainly, had I been able to raise funds at the time, I would've jumped at the art like a shot!

On a lesser note, late last year, I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase one of Frazetta's originals from the pressbook used to promote the movie. smile.gif

29c5b2d.jpg

All kidding aside, the old catalogs are a great source of info for collectors. I've made it a habit of picking them up when I can find them. The Cochran ones are fabulous (especially the Graphic Galleries issues)

Stephen

Frazetta JOHNNY COMET Sundays at $250 . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All kidding aside, the old catalogs are a great source of info for collectors. I've made it a habit of picking them up when I can find them. The Cochran ones are fabulous (especially the Graphic Galleries issues)

Stephen

I think so too. If you look at one of the Thor splashes, you see the paste ups are all there, but when it just sold on Heritage, it was missing so it was lost some time between now and then.

batfan,

Your catalog scans are from 4 Color, not Danny G. of Showcase New England. Some of the Kirby splashes may have been joint owned or consigned by Albert Moy. e.g. Dr Doom falling against the Thing statue 1962 splash at $10,500. laugh.gif

batfan,

Your catalog scans are from 4 Color, not Danny G. of Showcase New England. Some of the Kirby splashes may have been joint owned or consigned by Albert Moy. e.g. Dr Doom falling against the Thing statue 1962 splash at $10,500. laugh.gif

Your right! That is Howard on the cover.