• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

batman 615

82 posts in this topic

Ok, well I will play devil's advocate here and tout reasons for a Jason Todd comeback......

I have been with Batman since issue 350, back issued to 280 and I'm waiting to hit 189 before reading 189-280. Having read from 300ish up I think Batman needs a new villian a real twister, that puts him on edge.

Joker, arguably the greatest Batman villian has been done to death, Bats gets mad after Joker does greater and greater things, Killing Essen being the last I can think of, beats him to a pulp, has the great internal conflict and decides not to kill him and back to the Asylum it is.

Penguin, hes a night club owner and even though I like this incarnation of the Penguin, it suits him as he duels bats with his wits which is more believable, the penguin is kinda hit the lower echelon of dangerous rogues.

Two-Face, Harvey' plastic surgery has left a new twist on him, but how many coinish plot lines are there?

Bane, the newest Batman super villian, Bane does test Batman's mettle as hes a smart version of Killer Croc really, but Bane was introduced over 100 issues ago and I think his appeal is dropping.

Ra's - my favourite villian, but the battle in the desert and all the riddleresque hoops he makes Bats go through have been exhausted, plus they seem to be more and more respectful of one another, the animocity has waned. I still love him though too cool.......

I could do more but that would take too long. The most important arguement for making JT a new high profile addition to Batman's rogues gallery is simple. A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THE READERS HATE HIM makepoint.gif Not a bad character trait for a villian. I think it would make the Death in the Family issues go up in value with renewed interest in the character. There are a whole number of plot twists and problems for Bats here as instead of the memory haunting him, the actual person haunts him. He know's Bruce's secret and unliks Ra's is probably not above using it to his advantage more and more.

Anyway JT haters can flame but their hatred fuels my most compelling arguement for JT's return as a villian.

Great post. I personally hope it isn't JT. Batman stopped being corney from Adam's on. Bringing JT back is definitely gimicky.

In regards to your commentary on bat villians. You can never do enough around the Joker (I wish they would bring back his own series).

The one you didn't mention and which I think could be expanded dramatically is the Riddler. As a villain he has had little focus and what cameos he does play are portrayed very superficially.

What about Azrael???

Sadly, I am not as well read as i would like to be (not by a longshot) on the Bats, but a few good characters that could be developed a bit more are:

1 - Riddler

2 - Mr. Freeze

3 - Scarecrow

4 - Mad Hatter

and then the "gothamites". One thing I also liked about Bats is that the ordinary people (who most often happen to be ordinary criminals) really play such an important part . . .

I tell you, I really hope that Jason Todd isn't Hush. They said something on the DC boards how someone just altered the wording and that the scarecrow had used some of his gases on the Bats to make him see things, but who knows . . .

DAM

If it is Jason how did he get to the Lazarus pit?

Besides the R on the belt buckle looks funny!!

the colour is off when compared to the rest of it!

Why bother introducing Elliot only to kill him later!

Maybey its Gordon!

After all it was his gun used on elliot

Its really Jason Todds mother! She was involved with Joker in Death in the Family. Maybe Robin wasnt supposed to die: and Joker tricked her. But now she blames Batman. ANybody other than Tom Elliot. It was too obvious since the moment he was introduced and especially when he "died".

I agree its cheesy to bring back a dead character....but it would be a much better surprise ending than Tom Elliot. Jim and Jeff can do better than that!

There's now so much hype about Todd being Robin, I actually am beginning to think that it's not true... maybe, but who knows. I really, really hope it's not Elliot, and I threw the Sheila Heywood thing out before as a total joke. I don't think it's a problem for them to explain the whole Lazarus pit about Todd getting to it, but I think it compounds the problem as to who the real villian would be (i.e. the guy who gets Todd resurrected, and why they would ever do something like that)

By the way, DAM i agree that there are Bats villians that more could be done with (get Johns to overhaul them)... but the Riddler has always been lame, that's sort of his point, he's not that dangerous... the Scarecrow could be a dangerous character but he's such a one trick pony... I like Mr. Freeze, he could go a lot further... and I don't know all that much about the Mad Hatter.

I wonder what Loeb's got planned, but the clues dropped indicate Todd... in order for it to be someone else, you have to think as Ra's pointed out, someone who is dead who knows Bats' secret id, and has it out for him... there aren't a whole lot of people who fit that category.

We'll see . . . I plan to be at the comic book shop when it first opens on Wednesday to get this book!

I agree though, there seems to be so much hype surrounding JT now that it probably wouldn't be him . . .

DAM

We'll see . . . I plan to be at the comic book shop when it first opens on Wednesday to get this book!

I agree though, there seems to be so much hype surrounding JT now that it probably wouldn't be him . . .

DAM

considering the book ws done months ago why not him!

Yeah, it could be Todd... if you look at the picture of Todd holding Robin, doesn't Jason look a little too.... big. Unless of course, someone used one of the pits a while ago, and he's been alive for quite some time.

Maybe they can do another 900 number so we can kill him... again.

Yeah, it could be Todd... if you look at the picture of Todd holding Robin, doesn't Jason look a little too.... big. Unless of course, someone used one of the pits a while ago, and he's been alive for quite some time.

Maybe they can do another 900 number so we can kill him... again.

The belt buckle in that pic looks all wrong. The R looks a misplaced and the colour seems fresher that the rest!

I think at the end of the day if it is Robin at the end of the issue it will just be a hallucination or something to that effect . . . at least I hope so . . . Jason can't be alive! I watched the Joker kill him with my own two eyes, I buried him with Bruce, after all that . . . .

DAM

you're scaring me DAM, Jason was a punk... I was glad to see him get offed. I love that story because it's one of the few stories where I rooted for the character to actually die.

I think you're right though, resurrecting Jason would cheapen that story... but if it's all a hallucination, it cheapens the whole thing EVEN more.

But it would explain finally putting Selina and Bruce together as well, and Bruce revealing his ID to Selina, which I thought was a little weird and out of character.

...not really. Superman and Wonder Woman had their little attempt at a relationship after 60 years, and just put it behind them. Batman (and Selina, too) will just soldier on after this fling ends. She wont betray him. And, really, secret identities arent so sacrosanct anymore anyway.

It seems like ALL costumes know each other nowadays.

...not really. Superman and Wonder Woman had their little attempt at a relationship after 60 years, and just put it behind them. Batman (and Selina, too) will just soldier on after this fling ends. She wont betray him. And, really, secret identities arent so sacrosanct anymore anyway.

It seems like ALL costumes know each other nowadays.

Well the entire JLA know each other's secret ID's

secret id's aren't really special in the marvel universe, but they're not quite as wide open in the DCU... however, you're just assuming that Bruce won't keep in with Selina. And even though other heroes know each other's secret id's... I'm not sure selina really qualifies... being a past thief and all.