• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: EC original art - misc. interior pages by lesser known artists, any genre.

36 posts in this topic

Yes, that's right, I'm ready to scoop up some second-tier EC artwork by the likes of Kiefer, Wheelan, Peters, at say, around $50 a page for early EC western, crime, educational... anything!

Or up to a hundred or so for pages by Check, Craig, Harrison, whomever - the quality of the art has no bearing -

I want any new or pre-trend EC pages! Maybe even half pages! Hell, even blank EC pages... heh heh!

I need affordable examples of the era, not looking for investment quality pieces or to resell.

Let me take them off your hands and I'll put them to good use in a good home!

Yes, that's right, I'm ready to scoop up some second-tier EC artwork by the likes of Kiefer, Wheelan, Peters, at say, around $50 a page for early EC western, crime, educational... anything!

Or up to a hundred or so for pages by Check, Craig, Harrison, whomever - the quality of the art has no bearing -

I want any new or pre-trend EC pages! Maybe even half pages! Hell, even blank EC pages... heh heh!

I need affordable examples of the era, not looking for investment quality pieces or to resell.

Let me take them off your hands and I'll put them to good use in a good home!

$50 a page? I think you've missed the boat, by a few years, on that one . . . grin.gif

Yes, I've noticed misc. interior EC pages by the top dogs (Ingels, Feldstein, Wood) going for what I

used to pay for EC covers! ($500-$1000)

The Crime Suspense #6 Johnny Craig cover I bought for $1000 from Russ Cochran circa 1991 is in an eBay store now for $10,000.

I paid around $1,000 for complete stories that now go for upwards of $20,000 - such as Ingels' "Wish You Were Here"

But to pay more than $100 tops for Peters or Keifer pre-trend cowboy pages might not be as wise an investment.

I'm interested in acquiring somewhat less desirable vintage EC artwork mainly to utilize the original 1949-era illustration boards themselves, so that I can commission surviving EC artists to draw recreations on the back of the boards, for authenticity!

I'll even offer $50 or whatever's fair, for BLANK "EC" PAGES!

Though I presume the supply (and demand) are very low at this point.

insane.gif

Right, $19,000!

I traded the cover for a complete Ingels Old Witch story based on H.P. Lovecraft's "Cold Air", "Baby It's Cold Inside" - valued at $1,000 in 1991, perhaps worth $20,000 today.

It boggles the mind how casual some of us were before the EC art went up as high as it has, as fast as it has.

893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

My dog just ate my Picasso crayon scribble on deluxe napkin, a unique example from among hundreds which Pablo insisted on paying his check with at bistros all over Paris with until they politely said they had enough already, that henceforth standard remittance in coin of realm was deriguer.

P.P. knocked out these undervalued mini-masterpieces in approx. 5 seconds, usually on leftover napkins but sometimes used kleenex.

At first bills were settled with the head maitré dees to cater to a well known artist who might attract tourists to pay fancy prices for reheated coffee, house wine, day-old croissants and provencal crepes.

They were willing for a while to be handed ephemeral fragments in lieu of francs. But the pattern of low brow art hounds rubbernecking and gradually scaring away regular clientele from café after café repeated itself soon enough as ennui set in.

A few days or so before moving on to yet another bistro, Picasso would put less time and effort scribbling on the scraps of ever cheaper paper, as long lunches dragged on into longer dinners.

Even the lower echelon waiters turned their noses up at Picasso's half-assed smears of brown monotone residue on low quality single ply squares since those weren't signed, and weren't rendered at the table in full view of potential investors.

These little square sheets were embellished during his brief departures to the wash room, and smelled funny.

Nowadays these items are scarce, the supply having long since dried up.

There's the little scamp who gobbled my vintage vichysoire-wiped Brawny.

Hey boy, I have something bright, something shiny. Something sharp. Roll over, Beethoven!

( stooges.gif )

I'm interested in acquiring somewhat less desirable vintage EC artwork mainly to utilize the original 1949-era illustration boards themselves, so that I can commission surviving EC artists to draw recreations on the back of the boards, for authenticity!

I'll even offer $50 or whatever's fair, for BLANK "EC" PAGES!

Though I presume the supply (and demand) are very low at this point.

insane.gif

Can't say that I agree with the idea of 'altering' these originals, even if utilizing the blank backs of the boards to give any re-creation the illusion of authenticity (2007 artwork on 1949 illustration board).

All the EC artworks I own are cover examples. The backs of those covers are often smeared with ink smudges, stains, etc. Even if you do have some luck in acquiring some cheap pages, most are likely to suffer the same types of blemishes.

Can't say that I agree with the idea of 'altering' these originals, even if utilizing the blank backs of the boards to give any re-creation the illusion of authenticity (2007 artwork on 1949 illustration board).

All the EC artworks I own are cover examples. The backs of those covers are often smeared with ink smudges, stains, etc. Even if you do have some luck in acquiring some cheap pages, most are likely to suffer the same types of blemishes.

Good points.

Just so you know it's not to be an exact recreation, or intended to be resold.

I know what you mean by the backs of old pages sometimes being smudged, and in some cases the backs even have sketches by the artists... I've had some luck getting ones with Ingels, also Kurtzman sketches (of heads/faces) on the back.

I'll take ones with stains, whatever. Stamps, no problem. Wish vintage blank stock paper was available, but again, what are the chances of that.

Some collectors have even gone so far as to cut up original EC pages, or so I've heard, to sell/frame panels. Which might make sense with some of the MAD magazine art (thrown together on huge boards, out of sequence in some cases) but I've never done anything like that.

As to how sacred these pages are, is up to the individual.

I certainly believed in that to some extent... a friend reminds me that when a tattered EC comic book shed a few chips off a border of a page, rather than throw the flakes of old paper away I ATE them on the spot (and lived to tell the tale.)

... a friend reminds me that when a tattered EC comic book shed a few chips off a border of a page, rather than throw the flakes of old paper away I ATE them on the spot (and lived to tell the tale.)

893whatthe.gif . . . maybe your real reason for wanting to buy low-end EC artworks is to make a meal of 'em? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a matter of interest, what EC cover art do you still own?

EC cover art I haven't regurgitated yet: (these are recreations/commissions, in color)

Weird Fantasy #20 - Al Feldstein (2006)

Bedside Mad

Son of Mad

Voodoo Mad - all by Kelly Freas, pocketbook covers

That's a good comic-book cover - I'd like to see what the re-created painting looks like, if you can upload an image?

You mean the Weird Fantasy cover, right?

I'd be happy to share an image, but I haven't taken a photo yet... need a digital camera.

I'll get one in the near future and upload it here.

The painting is wide screen, rather than oblong, so it allows the rocket ship plenty of room to stretch out. Really nice detail work by Al.

Here's a few examples of unpublished EC covers and related pieces.

Unpublished art in the EC tradition, CFA-APA, Cover Gallery

By all means leave a comment there for me if you get a chance.

1613760-saddle-oil.jpg

Interesting stuff on the CFA-APA link.

The SADDLE JUSTICE image, which appears to be a painting, is too small for me to take a proper look at. Is this actually a Feldstein re-creation - or someone else aping his style? Can't really make out if that's Al's signature, or someone else's . . .

Going back to the subject of your plans to have re-created works on the backs of low-demand EC Pre-Trend originals . . . what artists have you got lined-up?

Sadly, there are very few of the old EC line-up left. Off the top-of-my-head, Feldstein, Williamson, Kamen, Severin, Elder and Davis?

From what I hear, Al Feldstein only does paintings. The work is superb, but a little pricey for many collectors.

Ken.. good to see your name again after quite some time.. I know how you feel about the prices on the EC stuff.. I sold my remaining 4 covers 3 years ago for $100,000.. and I didn't have a Frazetta.. so I got a real high price even for todays' market.. (I dont think he can get $100K today, even though they are incredible covers)

But in any case, if I come across any of the lesser artists I'll let you know.. You will have to come up from $100 though..

take

care

Rich===================

Ken.. good to see your name again after quite some time.. I know how you feel about the prices on the EC stuff.. I sold my remaining 4 covers 3 years ago for $100,000.. and I didn't have a Frazetta.. so I got a real high price even for todays' market.. (I dont think he can get $100K today, even though they are incredible covers)

But in any case, if I come across any of the lesser artists I'll let you know.. You will have to come up from $100 though..

take

care

Rich===================

Hi Rich

What were the 4 EC covers you sold for $100,000 three years ago?

Hi Rich

What were the 4 EC covers you sold for $100,000 three years ago?

Terry

Look at Heritage results since December 2004 and you will find them, beside the Wally Wood ones.

Thanks, Fred, though I didn't see any need for secrecy/discretion. If Rich is willing to publically mention that he sold 4 EC covers for $100k, then there shouldn't be a problem for elaborating on this? confused-smiley-013.gif

As EC collectors, we like to keep abreast of 'trends' (be it Pre-Trend . . . New-Trend . . . or Sales-Trend ). grin.gif

My covers did not sell at Heritage.. it was a private sale

WS #5

Shock #12

HOF #27

VOH #30

all great covers..

Two of the covers have been available for sale on the 'Archangels' site for a while and have yet to shift:

HAUNT OF FEAR # 27 (Ingels) - $28,000

VAULT OF HORROR # 30 (Craig) - $35,000

Whilst I consider the Craig cover to be outstanding, I'm a little shocked to see it having a higher asking price than the Ingels. Very few Ingels HAUNT covers are coming up for re-sale nowadays . . .

The infamous SHOCK # 12 cover is a key example, so I could certainly understand that one attracting a high price.

Thanks for elaborating. thumbsup2.gif