• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: EC original art - misc. interior pages by lesser known artists, any genre.

36 posts in this topic

You mean the Weird Fantasy cover, right?

I'd be happy to share an image, but I haven't taken a photo yet... need a digital camera.

I'll get one in the near future and upload it here.

The painting is wide screen, rather than oblong, so it allows the rocket ship plenty of room to stretch out. Really nice detail work by Al.

If you're still reading this thread...I'd love to see a photo of that recreation too! WF 20 is a fantastic cover...

Mr Trent.. I have been a buyer of comics since 1962 and a dealer since 1966 and I can tell you there are some things that never seem right to all of us..

In my opinion, the Ingels is the best of the lot and I only had hi quality art in my collection. But more to the point.. there are only 18 New-Trend covers by Ingels and they are the HOF covers.

Why he has the Craig priced higher is something only Bechara can answer. I think the Feldstein was even lower, if he still has it - which is also a surprise to me.

I wish I could list the several dozen EC covers I had for you.. But I'd have to go through 20 years of records.. not really into that. I think only 2 guys ever had more covers go through their hands

Rich============

Mr Trent.. I have been a buyer of comics since 1962 and a dealer since 1966 and I can tell you there are some things that never seem right to all of us..

In my opinion, the Ingels is the best of the lot and I only had hi quality art in my collection. But more to the point.. there are only 18 New-Trend covers by Ingels and they are the HOF covers.

Why he has the Craig priced higher is something only Bechara can answer. I think the Feldstein was even lower, if he still has it - which is also a surprise to me.

I wish I could list the several dozen EC covers I had for you.. But I'd have to go through 20 years of records.. not really into that. I think only 2 guys ever had more covers go through their hands

Rich============

Hi Rich

We're not too dissimilar. I've been a collector of comics since the early 1960s and a collector of original art since 1982 - prompted by the Cochran EC artwork auctions, which I regularly bought from.

I've had several hundred pages of EC story art pass through my hands, and a total of 14 EC covers. I currently own 11 EC covers, including the Ingels HAUNT OF FEAR # 13. During the 1980s, my interests were mostly for complete stories, but in recent years my collecting focus has shifted almost exclusively to collecting cover examples.

At least one cover I own, ACES HIGH # 2, may have originated from you?

No idea, also, as to why Bechara should value a Craig Horror cover higher than an Ingels - beats me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for your response.

Terry Doyle

When I was offered the covers, Bechara believed the Craig Vault cover to be more iconic. The Ingels Haunt cover had some condition issues (a glue stain on the cover comes to mind). I thought the Feldstein cover was quite nice as well and the best value of the three.

S

When I was offered the covers, Bechara believed the Craig Vault cover to be more iconic. The Ingels Haunt cover had some condition issues (a glue stain on the cover comes to mind). I thought the Feldstein cover was quite nice as well and the best value of the three.

S

The Ingels cover is missing stats of the three horror hosts from the left side of the main image, which accounts for the glue stains. They can be replaced.

Bechara's pricing obviously equates to his own personal preference. As Rich points out, there are only 18 Ingels HOF covers in existence. Craig was a prolific cover artist for EC, and produced 43 covers for the Horror titles alone (taking into account the final 'Horror' issues of CRIME PATROL and WAR AGAINST CRIME).

Craig Horror covers are frequently surfacing for re-sale, but the same can't be said of Ingels.

The VAULT # 30 cover is superb, but at $35,000 I think it's way over-priced.

The HAUNT # 27 cover is pricey, but I don't consider $28,000 to be unreasonable - given the artist's absolute mastery of the Horror genre. Wood Science-Fiction covers (and I consider Ingels to be on a par with Wood) are now fetching even higher prices . . .

33nhgye.jpg

yes I removed the three Ghoulunatics images from teh HOF cover because unlike most covers where the artists did not do any art where the 3 heads would go, Ingels did lots of art in that area and the art is way more important than the 3 heads.. and who cares about a little glue.. It's art, not a comic book

and yes.. teh Aces High cover did once belong to me.. Didn't I sell that to Gary Land??

=====================

yes I removed the three Ghoulunatics images from teh HOF cover because unlike most covers where the artists did not do any art where the 3 heads would go, Ingels did lots of art in that area and the art is way more important than the 3 heads.. and who cares about a little glue.. It's art, not a comic book

and yes.. teh Aces High cover did once belong to me.. Didn't I sell that to Gary Land??

=====================

Actually, I was of the impression the HAUNT # 27 cover was minus the Ghoulunatics stats prior to the art being sold? Cochran's EC PORTFOLIO # 6 (1977) features an image of the cover shot directly from the original art (which is minus the stats).

Understand your sentiments about the stats covering areas of art. Relacement stats could always be attached to an overlay.

I got the ACES HIGH cover from Ken Danker. Ken may well have got it from Gary Land

Russ may have shot the art at some point without any ghoulunatics.. but they were present when I got the art.. I had to remove them and I think I still took off a tiny section of art with one stat because of the glue..

Steve.. the logo is original.. by the way.. what did the Frankenstein plate go for in the Comiclink auction??

Rich==============

Russ may have shot the art at some point without any ghoulunatics.. but they were present when I got the art.. I had to remove them and I think I still took off a tiny section of art with one stat because of the glue.

Rich==============

Looks like the Ghoulunatics stats were re-united with the art for the sale of the cover. I've just had a look at Cochran's # 36 Art Auction Catalog and the cover is pictured with all stats present. Four Ingels HAUNT covers featured for sale and the HAUNT # 27 cover fetched $6,320. Not bad for 1988 sales prices.

1613760-saddle-oil.jpg

The SADDLE JUSTICE image, which appears to be a painting, is too small for me to make out if that's Al's signature, or someone else's . . .

Going back to the subject of your plans to have re-created works on the backs of low-demand EC Pre-Trend originals . . . what artists have you got lined-up?

Sadly, there are very few of the old EC line-up left. Off the top-of-my-head, Feldstein, Williamson, Kamen, Severin, Elder and Davis?

The SADDLE JUSTICE recreation in oil is by Cyril Jordan, who signed his name in the good Al EC traditional style.

If you go back to my art gallery comic art paintings - there's more, all commissioned by private collectors.

The artist in mind for work on the same paper Tiny Tots used at the time: Davis.

The project completed - a stunning detailed b+w ink recreation of his Mad-2 cover