• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why my lcs sucks

26 posts in this topic

first and foremost the guy’s who work there are what you would call I guess comic book snobs? confused-smiley-013.gif they act as if only what they read is worth buying. in fact they are very similar to the character jack black played in the movie “high fidelity” but not nearly as funny.

god forbid you ever try and strike up some comic related conversation with them. they are way to busy/important for that.

possibly the worst part is their pricing. most comic shops have the current issue of a particular title up on the wall and the preceding issues behind that witch can still be purchased at face value. not these guys. on the wall there is the current issue only. every back issue, the second it becomes a back issue is put in a bag and marked up to 6 bucks. if it is a popular title it’s 8 bucks. if it’s a number 1 it goes to 12.

for example with all star superman. the second issue number 2 hit the stands number 1 was pulled and marked up to 12 bucks. every issue following has been 8.

oh and they also have the way over priced way over graded silver and bronze books that are all marked “firm” referring to the price.

i know this issue has been talked about before, but i just ran over there at lunch and it really pissed me off.

anyone else have a lcs that prices that way?

That sucks. My LCS is great. Recent back issues are cover price, and if they don't have what I'm looking for they will re-order from Diamond if they are still available.

I look forward to dropping buy once a week to pick up new issues and talk comics for a little while. They even pull books for me that aren’t on my pull list if they think I might be interested in them. If I'm not interested I can just put them back on the rack.

They also have a section for "staff recommended reading" TPB's. If you buy one of those TPB's and don't like it you can return it for a full refund.

It's not the biggest store, they don't have many back issues I'm interested in and the location isn't the greatest, but it's the best store I've ever done business with based entirely on the people that work there and their attitude toward the customers.

I love my LCS, they don't have many back issues and the ones they do have are usually low-grade, but they're super friendly and always chat with me for a while when i go there, they always give me the latest comic related gossip tongue.gif

I usually only buy a couple of moderns and maybe a statue when i go there, but no matter what i buy, I always get a discount off the marked price acclaim.gif

There are several in Houston like that. The only real exception in Bedrock.

That's probably the best LCS I've ever visited! thumbsup2.gif

The main one here is like that. Back issue off the shelf as soon as new stuff hits, and dont even think about getting a break on price.

When I was filling the holes in my Cap. run I had about $800 in books in hand and when they wouldn't give a little on the price I kindly laid them on the counter and haven't spent a dime in there since.

My LCS is Paradise here in Toronto. I just switched over from another store... actually, I guess it was just in late November that I did that. But I already feel like I've been going there for years. I've never been in a store where EVERYONE that works there is awesome. I find myself looking forward to the weekly-ish visit to the LCS and I remember when I used to get excited about the monthly trip to San Antonio when I was growing up as a kid. (I grew up in TX.) Kinda brings back memories. I find going there once a week is about the only thing that isn't stressful in my life right now, so that's a good thing too.

Best part is, I go with my wife. She has a few things on the pull list now so we go together most of the time. I usually pick up a nice SA book when I'm there. I *love* buying something random from under the glass.

Yeah, I'm excited about the LCS again. I *hated* dealing with the old one. I just deleted a two paragraph rant about the old one from this post as my post was getting too long to be bearable.

I just switched over from another store

I did the same thing toward the end of last year. My wife goes with me as well. In fact, she's the one that told me to switch (note: told me) and I am very glad I did. It's a bit more of a drive, but well worth it. I get 10% off all new and back issues and sometimes more on bulk purchases or more pricey books. He also gave me .75 cents apiece on a bunch (about 60) of worthless moderns a few weeks ago that I used to get a couple BA Spideys I needed.

Ken, I would strongly suggest switching LCS's if there is another store in your area. By the way, I've got an AS Superman #1 I'll sell to you for $11.99. grin.gif

ALL the LCS are like that here.

As an example:

Justice number 1's are on the wall and 25 dollars. #2 16 dollars, #3 12 dollars, #4-6 10.00. Glad I bought from the boards here instead.

Origin #1 100 dollars????

I wont buy anything from them other than comic boxes.

Artboy99

My LCS is "okay." Depends on who is working there. If it's anybody other then the owner, I'm happy. The attitude makes me want to smack him in the face and move on but it's the _only_ lcs close by.

The closest comic shop to me is 180 miles, and it's pretty much as you described. I order my new stuff from Keith's Comics in Dallas, TX, and they do just fine.

"Justice number 1's are on the wall and 25 dollars. #2 16 dollars, #3 12 dollars, #4-6 10.00. Glad I bought from the boards here instead."

Are you serious? Pretty sure my LCS had those out on the racks for a good 3-4 months after they came out selling for cover price and had plenty of #1.

The shops I go to here in NYC try to price realistically. Outside of those, Midtown Comics kind of marks things high, but they have 40% off sales and will occasionally undergrade something. But they have good prices on boxes so I wind up buying some comics there anyway.

there are a couple of other places where I haven't tried to see if they'll work with you. basically, when i walk into a shop and everything is marked at crazy prices and there's no discount box, I don't bother.

"Justice number 1's are on the wall and 25 dollars. #2 16 dollars, #3 12 dollars, #4-6 10.00. Glad I bought from the boards here instead."

Are you serious? Pretty sure my LCS had those out on the racks for a good 3-4 months after they came out selling for cover price and had plenty of #1.

Yes I am absolutely serious.

I was also serious about the Origins #1 on the wall for 100.00. I went to buy Origins a couple of months after it was released and saw it on the wall for that price..it is still there to this day.

All the LCS owners up here have the same attitude: "it's the last one I have, someone will want it bad enough, I will sell it for a gazillion dollars."

And back issues ( old stuff like bronze and silver ) consist of a couple of apple boxes with VG or worse books crammed into it, or VG plastered on the walls with high price tags. Example: one store up here has an Amazing Spiderman #1 in his display case with a price tag of 2 thousand dollars on it. The book is horribly faded, and structurally is at best a 3.0. I grade the book as at best a 1.8 and I am sorry, I wont pay 2k for it.

I used to buy "new" comics from these shops, but even those I no longer buy when I can get such excellent deals from fellow board members by being patient.

I honestly have no idea how these stores stay in business..oh wait I remember!

They all sell toys, card games, model kits, everything else. Obviously this stuff is where they make the money to stay open.

Artboy99

I don't have an "LCS" per say, but in Nuremberg (about 45 miles away, there's a comic store. They sell mostly German language books, but the few American/english copies they get are WAYYYYY overpriced (2x3 times guide) AND the they are all priced in Euro. I am going to have to make a trip there to buy a couple of long boxes, since I can't get any shipped via USPS here at an APO....That's going to put me back at least $35...Anyways, I can't wait to get back to the states to find an lcs & just hang out & chit chat for a while...

When I was filling the holes in my Cap. run I had about $800 in books in hand and when they wouldn't give a little on the price I kindly laid them on the counter and haven't spent a dime in there since.

This sort of thing always just blows my mind. Those issues probably sat there for 10 years, and will probably sit there for 10 more. Not to mention losing a high dollar customer. screwy.gif

first and foremost the guy’s who work there are what you would call I guess comic book snobs? confused-smiley-013.gif they act as if only what they read is worth buying. in fact they are very similar to the character jack black played in the movie “high fidelity” but not nearly as funny.

god forbid you ever try and strike up some comic related conversation with them. they are way to busy/important for that.

possibly the worst part is their pricing. most comic shops have the current issue of a particular title up on the wall and the preceding issues behind that witch can still be purchased at face value. not these guys. on the wall there is the current issue only. every back issue, the second it becomes a back issue is put in a bag and marked up to 6 bucks. if it is a popular title it’s 8 bucks. if it’s a number 1 it goes to 12.

for example with all star superman. the second issue number 2 hit the stands number 1 was pulled and marked up to 12 bucks. every issue following has been 8.

oh and they also have the way over priced way over graded silver and bronze books that are all marked “firm” referring to the price.

i know this issue has been talked about before, but i just ran over there at lunch and it really pissed me off.

anyone else have a lcs that prices that way?

What part of the Chesapeake Bay area are you? I own a shop (Comic Kings tongue.gif)in Va.Beach,and welcome new customers whenever possible!!