• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 100 9.0 -Pricing question

6 posts in this topic

I recently became aware of a Superman 100 in VF/NM condition (CGC 9.0 off white pages).

I am trying to determine a price I should bid the owner. The book is tied for the best graded copy in the CGC census.

I was thinking about offering $4000? I am trying to walk a fine line between setting a top limit for myself and making an attractive offer to the owner who is reluctant to part with the book.

Any thoughts on my bid? How much should this book sell for in todays market?

I suspect I will only get 1 shot at a bid so I'm having difficulty coming up with a price.

Thanks Jay

I recently became aware of a Superman 100 in VF/NM condition (CGC 9.0 off white pages).

I am trying to determine a price I should bid the owner. The book is tied for the best graded copy in the CGC census.

I was thinking about offering $4000? I am trying to walk a fine line between setting a top limit for myself and making an attractive offer to the owner who is reluctant to part with the book.

Any thoughts on my bid? How much should this book sell for in todays market?

I suspect I will only get 1 shot at a bid so I'm having difficulty coming up with a price.

Thanks Jay

Steelcity's copy looks to be at least a 9.0 (or better). You could PM him to see if he would share any information about what he paid.

GPA has a lone 8.0 at around $1500....my guess on the 9.0.....$2500-$3000. 4K seems steep. Like I said Steelcity's copy may be a 9.2, what would you be willing to pay for a 9.0 copy if he slabbed his, and it sat alone on the top of the census. confused-smiley-013.gif

That is the danger of relying on the census, there are beautiful raw books out there.

He has posted it before....here it is:

sm100_Ian.jpg

Yes, it is freaking beautiful!

Sounds like a high price to me. I think of other Supermans to get for 4k. Wasn't there a CGC 9.2 #7 up for sale on ebay recently at a decent price? Or I'd wait for a significant book like issue 23 24 26 53 61 to show up for sale in the 9.0 to 9.2 range. I've never been big on anniversary issues as being key, although this one is a tough book, with a classic Superman pose (and hair curl)

Ed

Sounds like a high price to me. I think of other Supermans to get for 4k. Wasn't there a CGC 9.2 #7 up for sale on ebay recently at a decent price? Or I'd wait for a significant book like issue 23 24 26 53 61 to show up for sale in the 9.0 to 9.2 range. I've never been big on anniversary issues as being key, although this one is a tough book, with a classic Superman pose (and hair curl)

Ed

I think this book is a milestone issue and deserves the price boost around other numbers that it has always enjoyed. The 100th issue of the most well known character in comics, plus DC made a big deal out of it with this classic cover, look at sooooo many other 100th issues that came out from DC before it, nothing special whatsoever.

Is it worth 4K in 9.0? I don't think so either. $2500...probably. My point thought was that the 9.0 price is based on it being census tieing best copy....I don't think it is the best copy, which means the premium associated with it would go bye bye as soon as a 9.2 surfaces....which I think is possible.

Is it worth 4K in 9.0? I don't think so either. $2500...probably. My point thought was that the 9.0 price is based on it being census tieing best copy....I don't think it is the best copy, which means the premium associated with it would go bye bye as soon as a 9.2 surfaces....which I think is possible.

I personally think it's absolutely silly to pay a high premium for a book just because it represents the highest graded copy (at the time) according to the CGC census. Especially when it is only a 9.0 copy and the chances of a higher graded copy in the future is virtually guaranteed.

Better to buy the book as opposed to buying the CGC label which can be such a transitory number when it comes to the census.