• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 2

138 posts in this topic

Nothing was hidden, many people saw the rusty staples and asked me. I replied confused-smiley-013.gif

Obviously if there is a problem anywhere in the interior I would disclose this information .

Maybe it's just my monitor brightness, but even knowing the rust spot is there, it still doesn't look like a rust spot.... just looks like part of the staple. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what I thought as well. In fact, the migration looks greater in the scan of the slabbed book . . . blush.gif

I like Nik's new scanner much better, too bad the raw books couldnot have been scanned on it as well.

I flat out missed the rust, and migration by not taking my time and asking questions.

Lesson learned, moving on.

Ze-

Maybe it's just my monitor brightness, but even knowing the rust spot is there, it still doesn't look like a rust spot.... just looks like part of the staple. confused-smiley-013.gif

Dont worry.. it IS just your monitor makepoint.gif

Since some of the most respected and best graders in the hobby missed it, it's evident that the flaw was hidden or very difficult to see. There are a number of reasons why it would be so hard to see, and one of those is monitor contrast. Is that so difficult for you to understand?

Go away, .

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

And yet the best graders in the hobby (unless you count yourself among them) are not spending time complaining, it is a contest designed to be fun, so have fun. is THAT so difficult for you to understand?

There are BA books with a lable notation "slightly rusted staples" that are graded as 9.0. So there has to be some other defects. (Besides imperfections on back cover, they are too minor.)

There are BA books with a lable notation "slightly rusted staples" that are graded as 9.0. So there has to be some other defects. (Besides imperfections on back cover, they are too minor.)

Yeah, that's what I thought. I saw the rust, and downgraded the book, but my grade still wasn't even close! blush.gif

It will be interesting to see what the notes say.

And there is, the migration of the rust onto the interior shy.gif, which as per OS is not allowed higher than 8.0 but alledgedly CGC has a "leaner", but definetely more inconsistent, opinion on rust migration

I may be totally wrong in saying this, but based on my past grading contests I have had here, how many boardies just assumed the books would be in 9x and above?

Be honest angel.gif

Wheres the fun in that! yay.gif

Nothing was hidden, many people saw the rusty staples and asked me. I replied confused-smiley-013.gif

Obviously if there is a problem anywhere in the interior I would disclose this information .

That's what I thought as well. In fact, the migration looks greater in the scan of the slabbed book . . . blush.gif

I thought the same thing. I asked about the rust, but forgot to ask about migration. I gave it an 8.5 based on the fact that NM range books should not have rusted staples. Had i known or seen the migration the way it showed up on the slabbed scan I would have gone lower in my guestimate.

That was a good one Nikos. thumbsup2.gif

You also have to take in account one is a SA while the other is a BA book. Not saying its right or wrong, but they do grade GA SA and BA all differently.

You also have to take in account one is a SA while the other is a BA book. Not saying its right or wrong, but they do grade GA SA and BA all differently.

Don't I know it! i agree silver age & bronze age books are different and should be graded differently but that's quite a swing! It's no biggie i was just trying to point out where i was coming from when i graded the book! I came close to entering an 8.0 grade but thought it was just too nice for that! I knew there was a chance it would score 7.5 but felt it was an outside shot at best!

This books suffers the similar fate, without the rusty staples, I believe its a 9.4

unex152175.jpg

I also knew the DON #1 would grade low when I subbed it, but decided to do it for the contest.

Below is the reason i went with 8.5- this spidey 39 actually looks a lot better in the scan than in person! The colors were very drab-Thankfully i sold it on comiclink!

spidey39.jpg

yeah... that doesn't quite look 7.5 to me... but i suck at grading... insane.gif