• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The San Diego Con - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

73 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Just got back this a.m. from San Diego. Only made it to the Con on Saturday as I had other things to do during the weekend as well. Definitely a good time, though I wish I had more time there.

Here are some random thoughts:

THE GOOD:

- An amazing guest list, both from the film world and the comic world. Everyone from Angelina Jolie to Neal Adams. Given my limited time, I stayed in the main convention hall (mostly comic industry celebrities) and was able to meet one of my all-time faves, Bill Sienkiewicz, for the first time, which was probably the highlight of the weekend for me. I also got my photo snapped with "Elektra", "Marville" and "Emma Frost" cover artist Greg Horn (see attached file) - I bought the original cover art to Elektra #22 a few months ago, which is why we're holding up a print in the picture (Greg's idea).

- Unfortunately, I was unable to make the post-Con dinner, but I did get to meet Bonds25, JLA_all_the_way, Lighthouse, Borg, Odin88, Ubiquiti and Greggy, among others. Definitely would have enjoyed talking more with all of you, but my non-collector friend who went with me insisted that we go scope out the eye candy at Hooters instead of rapping about comics all evening.

- Certain dealers were exceptionally nice, courteous and a pleasure to talk to and deal with. I'm referring specifically to the Ideal Collectables crew and art dealer "Romitaman" (aka Mike Burkey, who sold me an unbelievable published Vampirella double-splash by Mayo).

- Original art dealers: I thought there was a great selection there and focused most of my time there.

THE BAD:

- Certain other dealers who I will not name...how do some of these people stay in business greeting customers and potential customers with a contemptuous scowl on their faces? I can only imagine how much contempt they must have heaped on all the non-hardcore fans that approached them.

- Tried to pick up a Colossus mini-statue by Bowen Designs, only to be shut out as the 126th person of the day trying to buy one (they had a 125 per day limit).

THE DOWNRIGHT UGLY:

- It took 1 hour and 15 minutes just to get into the Convention. I don't know why - the past 2 years, I just walked right in on a Saturday, but this year, the line was unbelievably long - it took at least 12 minutes just to briskly walk to the end of the line, where you couldn't even see the Convention Center building, we were so far away. I seriously thought about bailing on going. Next year, whether or not I'm sure I'm even going, I think I'll buy a pass in advance to avoid this hassle.

Gene

589a8b0145077_218425-GregHornSDCon03small.jpg.459ad1d7eb710052e24a7752e2d5f21e.jpg

If you don't believe me about the lines, check out this photo I took (attached). Yes, the line snaked out of the Convention Center, past a hotel, out back to the water and all the way down to a park several blocks away (the photo is of the line looping over to the park). I see boats, I see restaurants, I see shops, but no freaking sign of the Con!!

Gene

589a8b0148c82_218430-SDCon2003.jpg.473ec8a4c1b5def8a6e301c65e413eeb.jpg

gene: i was in that line on saturday too. i arrived at 10:30 and did not get in until 1:00!! they said the line was literally 1 mile from the front of the line until the end. i believe it. the moral of the story is: pre-register! 893frustrated.gif

its that or work for Marvel and get an exhibitors pass! That will get you to the fron tof the line..

If I can go next year, I'll figure out a contest so that someone can win my guest pass. This gets you in for free for all four days, with virtually no line, and you have access to a hosptality room with snacks and beverages.

gene: i was in that line on saturday too. i arrived at 10:30 and did not get in until 1:00!! they said the line was literally 1 mile from the front of the line until the end. i believe it. the moral of the story is: pre-register! 893frustrated.gif

i got 1 word for you....VOLUNTEER, no line and you get in for FREE! wink.gifgossip.gif893whatthe.gif

If I can go next year, I'll figure out a contest so that someone can win my guest pass. This gets you in for free for all four days, with virtually no line, and you have access to a hosptality room with snacks and beverages.

Auction it for the CGC Forum Philanthropy cause. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

its that or work for Marvel and get an exhibitors pass! That will get you to the fron tof the line..

Bah...already pre-registered for next year. Unless you can provide us with an Exhibitor's pass and get us in early, it's not worth it.

Damn pro passes don't get you in early! tongue.gif

Bah...already pre-registered for next year. Unless you can provide us with an Exhibitor's pass and get us in early, it's not worth it.

You're right, of course, greggy. I'm not an exhibitor so I can't help there.

Auction it for the CGC Forum Philanthropy cause. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to go next year. It has to be closer to the event for me to know that. But if there's a drive next year, then that will be my first choice.

-- Joanna

You're right, of course, greggy. I'm not an exhibitor so I can't help there.

Sniff...waited on Wednesday from 3:45 onwards when the doors were supposed to open at 5:30. Can't believe that some started waiting over 3 hours before! insane.gif

Sniff...waited on Wednesday from 3:45 onwards when the doors were supposed to open at 5:30. Can't believe that some started waiting over 3 hours before! insane.gif

Where's your market report foolio? mad.gif

Will provide it along with all the scans of the limited amount of books that I bought.

Only somewhat significant sales that I knew about were the GS X-men 1 CGC 9.8 OWW for $11,500 and the Batman 200 CGC 9.8 for $2,950. Both were sold by Ideal.

More tomorrow!

P.S. Sold my Werewolf by Night 1 CGC 9.8 to Ideal for a price that paid for my Heritage wins plus my flight and hotel stage! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Only somewhat significant sales that I knew about were the GS X-men 1 CGC 9.8 OWW for $11,500 and the Batman 200 CGC 9.8 for $2,950. Both were sold by Ideal.

More tomorrow!

P.S. Sold my Werewolf by Night 1 CGC 9.8 to Ideal for a price that paid for my Heritage wins plus my flight and hotel stage! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was the GS X 1 9.8 the same one that was on Ebay? Bats 200 9.8, did you see it? WBN 9.8. how much? $1000?

More tomorrow!

Was the GS X 1 9.8 the same one that was on Ebay? Bats 200 9.8, did you see it? WBN 9.8. how much? $1000?

Nope, the one on eBay was better centered and had OW pages. Book sold on the Thursday. Yes, saw the Batman 200. Very nice copy! Sold to a lady on the Saturday as per Bryce.

WWBN sold for $1,700! sumo.gif

Just say my Heritage wins were $1,000! 893applaud-thumb.gif