• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OO COLLECTIONS

41 posts in this topic

So if I buy some comics from an original owner, they're not original owner comics anymore since now they're owned by a second owner? How many hands can they go through before you can't call them original owner comics anymore? poke2.gif

One. confused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Try this on for size. You buy an original owner book that has been slabbed by the owner or the vendor who obtained the book from the owner. Would slabbing allow the book to maintain the cache of original ownership as the only one who read or possessed the book raw was the owner?

Dennis

Let's face it.. it's hard to prove the provenance of OO books anyway.

Suppose I find my comic store is out of an issue in 1964 and I don't locate the replacement until two months later from another comic store. This issue may not be as nice as my others which are NM, but it's still NM-. I pay .15 cents for it instead of 12 cents since it's used.

40 years later, no one can prove it wasn't purchased via my regular method. Still OO.

So if I buy some comics from an original owner, they're not original owner comics anymore since now they're owned by a second owner? How many hands can they go through before you can't call them original owner comics anymore? poke2.gif

One. confused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Try this on for size. You buy an original owner book that has been slabbed by the owner or the vendor who obtained the book from the owner. Would slabbing allow the book to maintain the cache of original ownership as the only one who read or possessed the book raw was the owner?

Dennis

IMHO?

The slabbing is irrelevant.

The issue is what relationship the 'handler' of the books had with said books. If the original owner slabs the books, draws on the books, cuts the books in half, it remains an original owner collection. If a vendor/retailer buys that collection for resale and either slabs them or sells them raw...they remain an Original Owner collection.

If the second doesn't apply, every pedigree on the planet is disqualified from being a pedigree. crazy.gif

Suppose I find my comic store is out of an issue in 1964 and I don't locate the replacement until two months later from another comic store. This issue may not be as nice as my others which are NM, but it's still NM-. I pay .15 cents for it instead of 12 cents since it's used.

40 years later, no one can prove it wasn't purchased via my regular method. Still OO.

Ah, but you don't have to buy all the books from the same source for it to be an OO. Providing that you're the first person to buy it, if it's sat on the shelves for two months and got a bit battered in the process, it's still 100% part of an OO.

Ah, but you don't have to buy all the books from the same source for it to be an OO. Providing that you're the first person to buy it, if it's sat on the shelves for two months and got a bit battered in the process, it's still 100% part of an OO.

Right, but what if I filled that hole 2 years later?

If it was still from the rack? It'd still be OO...although it'd be worse than a 9.2 by that time! 27_laughing.gif

Didnt kids trade comics alot back in the day 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not the ones who ended up with long runs in 9.0/9.2/9.4. tongue.gif

How do you know they werent read carefully poke2.gif

By four snot-nosed 7 year olds?

Where was this happening? Anal Retentive School? confused-smiley-013.gif

Im just saying there had to be a couple kids who were anal about keeping their books in good condition. Dont you think??

Im just saying there had to be a couple kids who were anal about keeping their books in good condition. Dont you think??

Yeah, and they'll be the ones that never lent their books out or traded them.

Because they were so anal about condition.

If it was still from the rack? It'd still be OO...although it'd be worse than a 9.2 by that time! 27_laughing.gif

Does it have to be from the rack? The store you buy from is technically the first owner of any book. If I buy a book that has been sitting in the back room storage area at my LCS for 10 years (since they ordered it), is it really that much different from buying it the day they received it? It still went from the distributor to the store to me, it just took a longer time.

I'm just throwing that out there. I don't really consider the books I've bought like that (even when I'm sure they are from the original store order) to be the same as the relatively few I've bought off the rack.

Yeah, and they'll be the ones that never lent their books out or traded them.

Because they were so anal about condition.

poke2.gif

....acquired directly from the newstand.

Where else can a "one owner and only one owner" buy them???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Technically they all could have been subscriptions insane.gif

But sadly, my collection is about 9% Original. My childhood friends and I did a lot of trading.

Don't feel bad, mica. My collection is probably less than 3% Original. Of course, considering my age, you might view that as a good thing... if the majority of the rest of my collection wasn't stuff I could have bought off the racks. insane.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Finally someone gets it. This OO stuff is so much nonsense.

All that's really important is do the books LOOK like they're OO - all high grade, similar condition, long runs, similar date stamps, what-have-you. Any story you believe beyond that about where the books may have been purchased from is just good for entertainment value because it's largely unverifiable.

If you want verifiable, you pretty much have to have every comic somehow uniquely marked by the retailer. makepoint.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Finally someone gets it. This OO stuff is so much nonsense.

All that's really important is do the books LOOK like they're OO - all high grade, similar condition, long runs, similar date stamps, what-have-you. Any story you believe beyond that about where the books may have been purchased from is just good for entertainment value because it's largely unverifiable.

If you want verifiable, you pretty much have to have every comic somehow uniquely marked by the retailer. makepoint.gif

I'm agreeing with some of this, but the part about 'all high grade' is incorrect. An OO collection could be all in VG-...or grades could be all over the board. It's one of the difference between OO and Pedigree.

I'm agreeing with some of this, but the part about 'all high grade' is incorrect. An OO collection could be all in VG-...or grades could be all over the board. It's one of the difference between OO and Pedigree.

Would anyone even care to wonder about whether a pile of VG comics were OOs? confused-smiley-013.gif Doesn't seem like an important distinction at that level. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've got my OO Bronze collection still intact, and it matters a whole lot to me. Dates back to 1972, when I was in high school and could read all the new mags without significantly damaging them in the process. Very different than the earlier Silver age stuff we read as young kids and practically destroyed.

Of course it can't be verified that each and every book from a collection was purchased by the original owner at the time of its initial release onto the newstand. Still, I find it way cooler to own an early Silver Age book from, say, the Mass or Northland or White Mountain pedigrees than from the Mile High II collection. The former were (virtually all, if not all) bought painstakingly by an individual and amassed over decades as true OO comic collections, whereas the latter sat for years in a warehouse, never having been purchased and treasured by a comic lover in the first place.