• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which book do you feel is a more significant Golden Age key?......

35 posts in this topic

.....and why? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More Fun Comics #53 Mar. 1940 Part 2 origin Spectre

or

Human Torch #2 (#1) Fall 1940 -first Human Torch

What say you??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Neither are particularly siginificant in my opinion, but if I had to make a call, I would say the Torch since it is the first of the run.

If both are the same grade I would lean Towards the Torch because it is a number 1

and the second Spector appearence is not[though significant]. Neither is a first appearence. Torchy 1 also has a much more colorful and attractive cover.

More fun 53 is probably Rarer too. Torch 1 is also the first Marvel Superhero along with Subby [in Marvel 1] The Spector was not D.C 1st Superhero. So I lean towards the Marvel guy over the D.C guy

Did Mark Ever sell his Torch 1 Universal 9.4 ? I remember back a bit he had it on his website for 150k?

Can someone provide a link to Mark's website? It sounds like a neat one to browse through...

While I'd rather have a MF #53, I'd have to say the first issue of a major character's title comic trumps the second appearance of a lesser known character in terms of "importance".

I'm guessing that over the years the added appeal of MF #53 being part 2 of the origin story has diminished somewhat. I seem to recall that years ago MF #52 & #53 were thought of more as a set than just 1st and 2nd appearances, whereas now, with copies of each likely encased in plastic and unable to be read, MF #52 exists as the key Spectre book

On the other hand I gather that MF #53 is harder to find than HT (#1) and of course has a Spectre cover - of which there aren't that many, while the confusing numbering and pedestrian cover of the Torch book has a dampening effect on that books appeal. But historical importance and desirability don't always match up the same when comparing books.

While I'd rather have a MF #53, I'd have to say the first issue of a major character's title comic trumps the second appearance of a lesser known character in terms of "importance".

I'm guessing that over the years the added appeal of MF #53 being part 2 of the origin story has diminished somewhat. I seem to recall that years ago MF #52 & #53 were thought of more as a set than just 1st and 2nd appearances, whereas now, with copies of each likely encased in plastic and unable to be read, MF #52 exists as the key Spectre book

On the other hand I gather that MF #53 is harder to find than HT (#1) and of course has a Spectre cover - of which there aren't that many, while the confusing numbering and pedestrian cover of the Torch book has a dampening effect on that books appeal. But historical importance and desirability don't always match up the same when comparing books.

Excellent synopsis rjpb . Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

If both are the same grade I would lean Towards the Torch because it is a number 1

and the second Spector appearence is not[though significant]. Neither is a first appearence. Torchy 1 also has a much more colorful and attractive cover.

More fun 53 is probably Rarer too. Torch 1 is also the first Marvel Superhero along with Subby [in Marvel 1] The Spector was not D.C 1st Superhero. So I lean towards the Marvel guy over the D.C guy

Howcome the grade is important to which book is the more important key grin.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I assume that you would agree that no matter how low grade a copy i can dig up, Action 1 is still the most important key, right ? tongue.gif

I believe he was looking for some objective statements as to the relative importance of the two books in question rather than a personal preference, a subject however i cannot contribute to due to lack of knowledge about the More Fun book. I am sure however that plenty of others can chip in where i fall short

I have never seen MF #53, but isn't it the 1st spectre in costume as a character, rather then the intro splash in #52 which isn't part of the story, just a teaser? They are both really cameo costume apps, which just makes #54 that much better (As if the cover wasn't enough). I guess the Human Torch is the bigger key, but in any instance I'd take the more fun anyway.

quote.//Howcome the grade is important to which book is the more important key

Its only for which book is more valuable. If you are realistically presented with a choice there is no way your going to avoid the grade.There is no such thing as avoiding the grade in making a choice.Has nothing to do with importance but it is in the equation in a real situation.A v.f More Fun 53 will be the choice over a good plus Torch 1.So I looked at it in the perception of a real life situation.

The Spectre is only in costume in the last page of the story in issue 53.It's a great page in which he's shown constructing his costume.I don't own a MF 52,but it would seem he has more of an appearance in 53,if 52 has just 1 panel of him in costume.

mf53page.jpg

Thanks, XL. I don't think much, if any, exists but I would love to see Bailey's original art from this time period.

The Spectre is only in costume in the last page of the story in issue 53.It's a great page in which he's shown constructing his costume.I don't own a MF 52,but it would seem he has more of an appearance in 53,if 52 has just 1 panel of him in costume.

mf53page.jpg

Xavier;

Welcome to the boards as it certainly seems that you are going to be a great addition here as evident by this beautiful posting of yours! thumbsup2.gif

If I understand it correctly, More Fun #52 is considered to be the first appearance since it has an actual story on the Spectre, even though he appears in costume only in the introductory splash panel. More Fun #51 is the first so-called cameo appearance as he appears in costume as a teaser in a one panel ad at the end of one of the stories.