• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grab Bag auction on E-Bay

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone purchased one of these and actually gotten some good stuff? I just can't bring myself to pony up the cash and not know what I may be getting. Who know maybe I could get one of those great books that are in the collection and may be in my 20 comics - yea right. I kind of think that these auctions are kind of like buying discounted water in Mexico. If the regular water shouldn't be drunk then what the heck is in this stuff.

Just curious.

Eh, don't fall for them it's just nonsense. Unless someone lists every book you'll get, or is a giant dealer's lot I don't think twice about it. Mystry auctions are stupid unless labeled as such without making claims of Hulk #181 to a lucky person. Notice 5/7 of these will always claim to give you Hulk #181.

Yeah I was an *spoon* and fell for that once...classic bait & switch, or just plain fraud (Seller most likely KEEPS the keys and sells off the rest of the junk)

don't bother. anyone who knows what they have isn't going to slip that $500 book into your mixed lot. I suppose if you're guaranteed 10 silver age books in the lot then throwing $10 out there for fun won't be the worst thing out there.

at least with the "fuzzy scan there's some old stuff" in the pile mixed lot you know you'll be getting something pictured (putting aside the obviously frauduletn ones where you see 11 photocopies of the front pages of sold GA keys mixed in with a bunch of junk), perhaps missing the back cover.

And as far as the Collection auctions where they show you a couple of keys you can expect little surprises like a Hulk 181 with color touch and a missing back corner or a nice looking GS X-men 1 with a 1 1/2 inch spine tear that you can't see until you take the book out of the bag. 5.5 PLOD and 3.0 respectively from a supplier of comics I will no longer buy any comics from.

"GS X-men 1 with a 1 1/2 inch spine tear that you can't see until you take the book out of the bag. 5.5 PLOD and 3.0"

for stuff like that, it really depends on what you're paying for the group. both of those are probably $100 books even in the described condition, perhaps more, so if you don't pay much for the whole group, you can still do ok if the auction isn't outright fraudulent (e.g., bait and switch or photocopies). i wouldn't suggest doing it, but at some point it might make financial sense.

Has anyone purchased one of these and actually gotten some good stuff? I just can't bring myself to pony up the cash and not know what I may be getting. Who know maybe I could get one of those great books that are in the collection and may be in my 20 comics - yea right. I kind of think that these auctions are kind of like buying discounted water in Mexico. If the regular water shouldn't be drunk then what the heck is in this stuff.

Just curious.

consider the typical collection of 5,000 comics and pick 20 at random......95% will be things you don't want or have little to no significant value. Grab bags are a way to make an extra buck on everything, and every now and then a bone is thrown. Similar to searching through wheat pennies.....

Good luck though, Just my opinion and I haven't even checked out the auction.

"GS X-men 1 with a 1 1/2 inch spine tear that you can't see until you take the book out of the bag. 5.5 PLOD and 3.0"

for stuff like that, it really depends on what you're paying for the group. both of those are probably $100 books even in the described condition, perhaps more, so if you don't pay much for the whole group, you can still do ok if the auction isn't outright fraudulent (e.g., bait and switch or photocopies). i wouldn't suggest doing it, but at some point it might make financial sense.

Well I would have been a lot happier if the Top bidder hadn't backed out because "he thought there was alot more Silver age than there was" In retrospect I should've seen all the signs, I could have gotten ten of those long boxes from $75 bulk auctions foreheadslap.gif

If its too good to be true it is and no one sells prime material in a large lot short of being a collector selling out their entire collection, which is how the auction was (mis)represented. And no it wasn't Neatstuff, who I will still buy books from if the price is right.