• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAPE and RESTORATION

5 posts in this topic

Is Tape considered restoration? According to the Overstreet guide Tape is allowable in grades up to VG. My question is should books with Tape be considered Restored. It seems to me that it doesnt make sense that a book( say a Batman 2) with a Tape repair would be considered a Unrestored VG while a similiar book with the same tape repair but "sealed tear" would be considered restored. The tape IS going to cause more damagee to the book and in Reality, the sealed tear looks better and will not further damage the book. But according to current logic the Taped book is more Valuable. Any thoughts rantpost.gif

Thanks for the CGC position link. Even though we know the book that was sealed is Nicer looking and will not deteroiate further(also the book Steve would chose) the fact remains according to current Wisdom the BLUE LABELED Taped book is MORE VALUABLE .( doesnt really make sense)

Is Tape considered restoration? According to the Overstreet guide Tape is allowable in grades up to VG. My question is should books with Tape be considered Restored. It seems to me that it doesnt make sense that a book( say a Batman 2) with a Tape repair would be considered a Unrestored VG while a similiar book with the same tape repair but "sealed tear" would be considered restored. The tape IS going to cause more damagee to the book and in Reality, the sealed tear looks better and will not further damage the book. But according to current logic the Taped book is more Valuable. Any thoughts rantpost.gif

It depends on the tape. It seems that scotch tape is ok for the lesser grades. Sotch tape will ultimately damage the paper. But archival tape, because it is "archival" is seen as "restoration". It is an insanity that goes beyod the bounds of insanity! insane.gif